Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Science Lesson

Elementary Science

Science Lesson

Author Post
Pamela Perozo Pamela Perozo 2913 Points

What are some ideas in which teachers could make science lessons meaninful, relevant, and engaging for students?

Michelle Ankrum Michelle Ankrum 85 Points

Hi Pamela!  I am a preservice teacher at Wartburg College.  Your question made me think and smile as I thought of some of the science lessons I have had to chance to teach recently.  At my college, we have access to a large variety of animals that we can bring to classrooms to teach about to students.  A few weeks ago, I was able to bring a small tortoise to a rural school.  I brought in two books discussing tortoises: one non-fiction, the other fiction.  We brainstormed a variety of textual differences between these two types of books, and then began to compare both texts to the physical animal in front of us.  Every student was engaged throughout the lesson as they could see the animal, touch its shell, and compare the pictures and illustrations to this live creature.  Though this was not specifically a science lesson, we managed to incorporate both reading and science all in one, discussed habitats and environments, and text features.  If your school does not have access to animals, see about contacting other local schools, colleges, universities, zoos, etc., and asking if they could come show certain animals to your students.  By connecting the lecture material to a physical animal, students may become more engaged and committed to learning as this is more than simply talk.

Have a great school year!

Michelle Ankrum Wartburg College
Elementary Education
Class of 2020

Reading & Math Endorsements
Member National Science Teachers Association

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers