Forums

Forums / STEM / Diversifying STEM

STEM

Diversifying STEM

Author Post
Andrea Padilla Andrea Padilla 505 Points

As you may know, STEM is a Male dominated field. As educators, what can we do to engage our female students? How can we make our STEM groups diverse? How can we work against stereotypes to improve the environment of STEM classes?   

ALISKA BROWN ALISKA BROWN 1115 Points

I believe all schools have this problem.  I'm working on a project where I meet with the school district superintendent to request that the STEM class be a requirement. It's so often offered only to GT students. I want girls to learn about the environment and how it affects their community. 

Keli Potter Keli Potter 865 Points

Hello Andrea, 

I am a preservice teacher at Wartburg College, and your post caught my eye. Historically, Western science was dominated by white men, but this has changed remarkably throughout the years. Their contributions within the STEM field are undoubtedly significant; however, this stereotype should be broken within the classroom. Educators can connect content with current discoveries to subtly highlight the diversity within the scientific community. Students feeling represented is extremely important, and teachers can easily incorporate material to break this negative stereotype. This process will aid in creating a more positive environment due to not only the cultural and gender representation but also new and exciting discoveries. There are numerous stereotypes and misconceptions within STEM, and, as educators, it is important to address them within our classroom. Shifting science classes from memorizing facts to actively exploring concepts is another way to keep young learners engaged. When students can make their own discoveries through hands-on activities and working with peers, curiosity will follow. Even though STEM has negative stereotypes, implementing proper teaching strategies can aid in student engagement. 

Although I am not a practicing teacher, I understand the implications of these negative stereotypes and hope to break them within my future classrooms. 

Good luck!

Keli Potter

Wartburg College

Elyse Juarez Elyse Juarez 725 Points

Hi Andrea, great question! I am a pre-service teacher at Wartburg College and in my class, STEM is a major concept. A good way to engage female students is asking them for ideas on what they want to learn, or what experiments they want to create! Student feedback is always a good idea to bounce ideas off of, especially when it comes to diversity. Providing resources focusing on women in STEM can be a good idea too! In my class, we have had female guest speakers come in and talk to us, and it is inspiring to see what they have to say. Providing careers they could chase too might help them as well, students love when they are given guidance by teachers. I hope this helps!

Lauren Cramer Lauren Cramer 2025 Points

Have you thought about hosting a STEM project day for girls in your community where you can have them work with each other and promote careers that they can do with what they've learned? That can be very powerful. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers