Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Weather unit?? Hurricane Sandy

Elementary Science

Weather unit?? Hurricane Sandy

Author Post
Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

I was wondering if anyone on the east coast is using this unusual storm as the basis for an earth science unit? I went to the new Framework for K12 Science and found out what researh based conceots students should learn about weather and climate.
Grade Band Endpoints for ESS2.D
By the end of grade 2. Weather is the combination of sunlight, wind, snow or
rain, and temperature in a particular region at a particular time. People measure
these conditions to describe and record the weather and to notice patterns
over time.
By the end of grade 5. Weather is the minute-by-minute to day-by-day variation
of the atmosphere’s condition on a local scale. Scientists record the patterns of the
weather across different times and areas so that they can make predictions about
what kind of weather might happen next. Climate describes the ranges of an area’s
typical weather conditions and the extent to which those conditions vary over
years to centuries.
Thinking about the importance of relevance in student's learning, I wondered how this hurricane can be part of science instruction?

Kathy

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Kathy, I think that Hurricane Sandy offers an outstanding opportunity to make science real and relevant to our students. I really enjoy including current events in my science lessons. The current weather gives science teachers an outstanding opportunity to teach our students about weather events. In addition to a hurricane, we also have winter storm moving in from the west, and cold air moving down from Canada. With all three of these weather events converging at once, we have the opportunity to show our students the amazing effects weather can have. Additionally, it will be interesting to see what happens over the next week...Will we see flooding? Will the mountains with VA and WV see record snowfall? Will the weather have any effect on our weather? What is the effect of the tonight's full moon on the tides and how are the tides also effected by the hurricane? These are all fantastic questions that we can address with our students. Maureen

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Kathy and Maureen,
We can assume that a lot of rebuilding will be going on in the aftermath of this super storm. This lesson plan for middle school students may be an excellent real life connection to STEM: Building Models to Better Understand the Importance of Cost Versus Safety in Engineering.
Has anyone done this particular lesson?
Carolyn

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

Carolyn, This look like a great lesson. I wonder if it can be appropriately modified for elementary students. What might you do to modify it? I am going to read it again and se what I think too. Kathy

And a child shall lead us...I know what you mean, Arlene. That of course is the first and most important concern in the aftermath of the hurricane.

There are several ideas for lessons at the Weather Events 2012 discussion thread under the Earth and Space Science Forum in case anyone is looking for some more ways to incorporate hurricanes into their upcoming units. I am going to look and see if the Picture Perfect ladies have any lessons on this topic, too.
Carolyn

Kathy, I am not sure I would do that one with the younger children. Perhaps doing a version of the Marshmallow Challenge would be an effective way to get them to thinking about the importance of geometric shapes in engineering designs created for strength and stability. The activity has been done with kindergarteners and groups with advanced degrees. Kindergarteners seem to be the most successful - according to the moderator on Youtube :-) Carolyn

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

NOAA has put together a Educational site on Hurricane Sandy http://www.education.noaa.gov/Weather_and_Atmosphere/Hurricanes.html "The term “hurricane” has its origin in the religions of past civilizations. The Mayan storm god was named Hunraken. A god considered evil by the Taino people of the Caribbean was called Huracan. Hurricanes may not be considered evil but they are one of nature’s most powerful storms. Their potential for loss of life and destruction of property is tremendous." http://www.noaa.gov/stormcentral/

Justine Rivlin Justine Rivlin 195 Points

I think that including the Hurricane is a wonderful topic for science. I recently did a weather workshop that is for first and second graders. They can make an anemometer. It is from a Foss Kit. These are the materials and procedures. The students loved it. You can teach them how it works and how it can be used during a Hurricane. You can also take them outside to see how much wind there is in your area. Materials: • 4 Plastic Cups • 1 Wooden Block • 1 Cardboard Square • 1 Super Jumbo Straw • 1 Jumbo Straw • Tape • Scissors • Packet Procedure: 1. The students will work together as a group. 2. Gather supplies 3. Insert one cup all the way into each slit on the cardboard square. 4. Insert the split end of the straw through the hole in the cardboard. 5. Fold the flaps of the straw outward. 6. Secure the flaps with a piece of tape. 7. Insert the long part of the super jumbo straw into the hole in the wooden block. 8. Push the straw into the block as far as it will go. 9. Insert the jumbo straw with the anemometer attached into the super jumbo straw. 10. Blow on it to see how fast it spins.

Janelle Buttera Janelle Buttera 465 Points

That looks like a great lesson. And I would think anytime you can teach the students with a real world hands on experience, that would be great for them. They could reflect on what happened, and why it happened, by journal-ling and watching the storm daily.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers