Forums

Forums / Professional Learning / Success For All, Takes Us All

Professional Learning

Success For All, Takes Us All

Author Post
Alison Wright Alison Thalmann 16435 Points

[color=#454545][size=2][font=Helvetica]All professionals need time to collaborate. We often turn to other teachers when we need information or advice. Now more than ever, teacher collaboration and professional learning relationships are needed for providing ALL students the very best education possible. With pressure on teachers and districts for education improvements and implementation of the NGSS, the need for teacher collaboration and professional learning is essential.  [/font][/size][/color] [color=#454545][size=2][font=Helvetica]Have you been inspired to shift your practices to include more collaboration either in teaching and/or providing your students with more time to collaborate in the classroom? Please share examples of times you came together with other educators, both informal and formal educators, and what you were able to learn from the experience, including some take-away lesson/activity ideas. [/font][/size][/color] [color=#454545][size=2][font=Helvetica]Have you worked with higher education institutions in your local area who have provided you resources? Environmental educators and/or organizations? Are there other local community organizations you are working with? Are there businesses who you are working with to help make the bridge between school and work? [/font][/size][/color] [color=#454545][size=2][font=Helvetica]Have you provided your students with more opportunities to collaborate in the classroom? Have you seen the rewards from doing so? Have students shared with you the impact it has had on their learning? It will truly take us all, for there to be success for all. I look forward to hearing your stories. [/font][/size][/color] [color=#454545][size=2][font=Helvetica]Please feel free to include posts of documentation you have from the experience (i.e. a local newspaper write-up, student and teacher words about the impact collaboration has had on their teaching and/or learning, photos if permission was given to you, URLs of websites where we can read more, videos to see more, and upload files of lessons/activities/labs that have been successful for you in the classroom).[/font][/size][/color] [color=#454545][size=2][font=Helvetica][color=#000000]May this be a year of even stronger collaborations in the education community to better serve all students. If you will be attending the NSTA National Conference this spring in LA, and would be interested in attending a Share-a-Thon that provides not only [/color][color=#000000]exemplary lessons, activities, labs, etc. that are tried and true but also about the power of collaboration in teaching and learning, please email me at [email protected].[/color][/font][/size][/color] [color=#454545][size=2][font=Helvetica][color=#000000]The Share-a-Thon, [/color][color=#000000]“[/color][color=#000000]Success For All, Takes Us All,[/color][color=#000000]”[/color][color=#000000] is planned for [/color][color=#000000]Thursday, March 30, 2017 from 12:30pm to 1:30pm at the LA Convention Center, 152. E[/color][color=#000000]ducators from California, Nevada, and Hawaii will be sharing the rewards and challenges they faced when implementing NGSS, and how collaborative working relationships with others have enabled them to provide effective high quality science instruction. We would love for you to join the conversation![/color][color=#000000] [/color][/font][/size][/color]

Tina McKenzie Tina McKenzie 2435 Points

I would love to be a part of this conversation!

Morris McCormick Morris McCormick 663 Points

Grateful to be joining this elite group of colleagues to share insights and next steps in our NGSS journey. Thanks Alison.

Flavio Mendez Flavio Mendez 52501 Points

Dear Alison, Thank you for coordinating this event and good luck to all the presenters. The NSTA team is excited to be here in the "Golden State" meeting awesome educators and learning together the latest and greatest in science education and STEM! Have a great session and enjoy the conference everyone! Flavio.

Rachel Solis Rachel Solis 60 Points

I'm looking forward to being a part of the Share-a-Thon, "Success For All, Takes Us All" and I am always so proud to see a community of educators come together for a greater cause. My mission in education has always been to make this world a better place. We have the ability to make real change happen in the lives of the students we touch. I strive to make sure that every student feels successful.  As a former teacher myself, I'm committed to helping others and being a part of ensuring we are making learning hands-on, fun, and that we have 100% student engagement. There is a very easy way to do this and I will be talking about some of the successes I've experienced. I welcome those attending to come chat with me at my session and pick up some of our complimentary resources on "Why Hands-On Learning MATTERS". Research has shown us time and time again that meaningful hands-on learning experiences are more effective than assigning a chapter in a textbook  I believe, that how we teach matters as much as what we teach and LEGO Education offers solutions and resources that help both students and teachers. We have a lot of complimentary resources and I'm always happy to share these golden nuggets with others. I look forward to being a part of this! Thank you Alison Thalmann.

Thank you for sharing! I had the great fortune to visit an after school robotics club that Rachel, administrators, elementary classroom teachers, and the after school program teachers collaborated on to make learning fun and engaging for their students. "Teachers are society's most valuable resource for improving science education and the most important agent of change in education," Mary Gromko's - this year's NSTA President's - powerful message to all educators. Look forward to seeing you at the conference! :) This is the time to connect, collaborate, and celebrate - teachers truly are the key!

Rachel Solis Rachel Solis 60 Points

Thanks for organizing such a great network of dedicated educators, Alison. Teachers are the number one contributing factor to a students success. As both a parent and educator, my fight is to make classrooms fun again. This is just as much for us teachers as our students. When we care, we buy in to the learning. When we become a community of learners for our students and also WITH our students the potential is endless! I hope to keep in touch with those I've started conversations with at Success for All, Takes Us All, and welcome new voices too.

Greg Beutler Greg Beutler 30 Points

The attached resource helps elementary school teachers use MITs Free Scratch program to help kids model electricity and electron flow in a simple model. Coding is perfect for modeling all sorts of phenomena. The artwork is pre-made, so it is a simple matter of adding the Scratch code blocks to animate the project and discuss what is the science behind all of this. This is a tool to illuminate electron flow. This can be taught easily within an hour, even with kids unfamiliar with Scratch or coding Scratch only requires PCs/Macs and a browser. no software to load or buy.

Can it also be easily taught to teachers, Greg? I am looking forward to learning more about the technology that so many kids are already so familiar with and that I am always trying to catch up with. Greg has generously offered to connect with a Santa Ana High School graduate who is now studying engineering in college and wants to return to his high school this summer to provide additional coding experiences to students. Thanks, Greg, for all that you are doing to motivate students with activities that they are excited to do, help support us educators who are learning the technology, and connecting with others who want to create change and improve science education for all kids. Look forward to learning from your presentation at the share-a-thon! :) Thank you for your participation!

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

We've used it! Our STEM Team learned how to use Scratch and it was hilarious! We laughed at ourselves and remembered what it is like to take a risk when learning something new. We shared it with other teachers at an inservice and some have used it in their classrooms.

Julie Roney Julie Roney 10 Points

I will be there. I'll make sure Elisa Slee gets there, too. :)

Looking forward to seeing you this week! Thank you for your participation. :)

Mark Friedman Mark Friedman 65 Points

A new addition.
Presenters, Yasuyuki Kosaka (Primary) Mark Friedman (Secondary)
Audience: HS Environmental (APES too), marine Bio, AP Bio teachers; informal educators

Collaborative research and communication between high school students in Japan and Los Angeles. Data, PowerPoint, poster board and potential for future extended multi-school involvement. Seeking more high school student participation. Need for public education and action.

Presentation Title
“Plastic Ocean & Microplastics: Dangers for Marine Organisms and Humans. From Ingestion to Hormone Disruption.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

SO happy that you will both be able to join us this Thursday! I can't wait to hear about the collaborative work happening between the two countries. Some of my best learning experiences have been participating in cultural exchanges and connecting with others abroad. I love the possibilities that science education has to bring people of all different backgrounds together to help solve real-world problems. Thank you for your willingness to share. I hope there will be others who can take advantage of this opportunity, and that it will serve as a model for future collaborations across schools, districts, counties, states, and even countries. See you on Thursday! :)

Coming together for a fun day outdoors, enjoying Crystal Cove National Park, connecting with educators and families, sharing resources, and learning about the tide pools. :)

It may seem silly to respond to my own post, however, I wanted to share this as an example to inspire others that they too can bring groups of people together to share and learn from one another. You don't have to be in a classroom either for learning to happen. Take advantage of what your interests and passions are, find others who want to work with you, and invite others to join. Learning is not always "work", it could be a nice day at the beach. :) If we want kids to find learning to be fun and engaging, let's start modeling it for ourselves. Looking forward to a fun conference! And hope to hear about the fun, engaging activities that you learn from your experience and hope to replicate in your classrooms on the forum. As stated in the share-a-thon title, "Success for All, Takes us All", I hope you will be able to participate either at the event and/or in this discussion forum to spread successful strategies and promote further future collaborations!

I really like this kind of informal gathering, done outside of the usual school hours, and not mandated by the district. This is a really great idea.

Josephine Golcher Josephine Golcher 50 Points

I have been trying to get students to collect data and graph it successfully to derive meaningful data from the material. Many years ago, I was late for a science workshop at UCLA and the only session with spaces was on graphing. I was disappointed that all the dramatic science sessions were already filled. I shared my disappointment with the lady with whom I was having coffee. It turned out that she was the presenter of the only session with spaces, one dealing with student problems with graphing. These were the same problems that my students were having and did not like to admit. I went home and wrote up the given paper which I have used ever since. This taught me the value of collaboration. In my display, I include, by kind permission, work done by Lee Trampleasure, an expert on modeling and inquiry labs, and James Lincoln, who has done many worthwhile videos for Arbor Scientific. As I come to the end of my active career, I hope to not only give back to the science teaching community, but also help all those teachers who are busy teaching our youth. Those youngsters, like my grandsons, who are eager to learn

Attachments

Thank you for sharing this very valuable resource!

Thanks, Jo, for sharing! Your experience reminds me of the quote that I love so much by R. Buckminster Fuller, the great scientist and inventor, 'There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly.' You never know, even in the most unexpected places and with the most unexpected people, what will end up having a lasting impact on you. For more wisdom from R. Buckminster Fuller, check out this website for quotes.

http://theunboundedspirit.com/16-of-the-best-buckminster-fuller-quotes/

I thought this was always important to remember for ALL my students when I was teaching...from the very little ones in early childhood education to my students in high school, especially those students who had given up on themselves because they thought everyone else had given up on them. Sometimes we forget as teachers, with all our daily responsibilities and standards to be teaching, just how great a responsibility we have influencing kids and their lives. ALL kids are caterpillars developing at their own pace to become beautiful butterflies.

We have an impressive list of presenters. I am so grateful to have everyone's voice there tomorrow and want to encourage more educators, especially classroom teachers who often feel too intimidated or not worthy to have their voice heard, to join our conversations. I am looking forward to this group empowering more educators to come together and collaborate on increasing student learning outcomes. Thank you again to everyone!

Great things can come from simply sharing a conversation with someone over a cup of coffee...or tea, Jo. :)

Joseph Calmer Joseph Calmer 585 Points

Posted is the handout that will accompany the demo presentation

Share Collection (3 items)

Simple demos in a classroom for learning and understanding

Description:
The demo is a smaller scale representation of what is a naturally occurring phenomena. It is small scale and simple. A demo is not an experiment, but can become experiments, if you choose. A demo is a way for students to test their model, or understanding of the topic being discussed/ demonstrated.

Presenters: Joseph Calmer
Audience: Teachers
Organizations/Schools: Lawndale High School
Links: https://sites.google.com/site/sciencephenomena

Enhanced E-Books
Description: Engage in science and literacy—learn how interactive multimedia elements and accompanying text can enhance science learning and literacy for elementary students. While using NSTA’s eBooks+ Kids for examples, these concepts can be applied to other digital content.

Presenters: Leisa Clark, Eleonore Dixon-Roche
Organizations/Schools: NSTA E-products
Audience: K-12
Links: www.nsta.org/ebooks/kids , www.nsta.org/ebooks/school

WEB-BASED NGSS UNIT DEVELOPMENT TOOL AND RESOURCES
Description: Learn how to use a newly developed, web-based tutorial that guides a teacher in developing an instructional unit aligned with all dimensions of NGSS, including Common Core integration, assessment, pedagogy and daily lesson planning.

Presenters: Dean Gilbert
Organizations/Schools:
Links: http://misc.ocde.us/ngss2/presentation_html5.html

Wayne Thompson Wayne Thompson 30 Points

Alison; The presentation did not have graphics for any of the slides (blank slides)... perhaps just a glich at my end but perhaps not? I tried using Safari and Chrome. There is audio but nothing visual. Thank you Wayne

OpenEd
Description: Science assessments with NGSS aligned interactives for each wrong answer

Presenters: Polina Babina
Organizations/Schools: OpenEd

Links: OpenEd.com

Scratch Coding and Arduinos
Description: Arduino Electronics= NGSS for middle schoolers

Presenters: Greg Beutler
Organizations/Schools:
Audience: 6-8 + Admin. + Community Stakeholders
Links: www.techscool.org/nsta

Project-Based Learning Through Global Statistics
Description: The new data challenge is finding patterns in haystacks of instant worldwide information. Come try free, reliable, online statistics visualizers to correlate and analyze international social measures over time, including health, wealth, environment, labor, and much more. 3-D NGSS learning with with math ELA integration.
Presenters: Toby Spencer
Organizations/Schools: California Teachers Association’s Instructional Leadership Corps
Audience: 7-12
Links: www.gapminder.org
http://seeit.ucdavis.edu/SeeIt3/correlationsv3.html
https://sites.google.com/a/cbst.ucdavis.edu/sbcepublic/

Presentation Title: Navigating the Rough Waters of OER: A Science Team's Journey.
Description: Take a look at a team's journey of organizing, vetting and curating science OER (Open Educational Resources) collections to align with NGSS in the Grossmont Union High School District. Discussion will include ideas, suggestions and pitfalls to avoid as you embark on your journey.
Presenters: Franz Ruiz, Annika Goodin
Organizations/Schools: Grossmont Union High School District, El Cajon Valley High School
Audience: Teachers, Administrators, TOSA's, Others interested in NGSS and OER.
Links: Provided at the session

STEAM Education
Description: Science and Art Institutions work in collaboration to bring STEAM to the forefront. We provide Professional Development and curricular resources for Nevada's educators and changing the discussion from STEM to STEAM in the state.
Presenters: Craig Rosen
Organizations/Schools: Desert Research Institute/The STEAM Team
Audience: K-12 + Admin. + Community Stakeholders

Parent + Child Hand-in-Hand STEAM Learning
Description: Overview of a model for building school community through family STEAM Learning.

Presenters: Stacy Bertucelli
Organizations/Schools: Melrose ES MST Magnet

Inspiration Through Innovation- Phenomena Matters
Description: Inspiration and innovation in STEAM will drive the collaboration and inquiry of students to apply engineering, modeling, and problem solving practices in career and technical pathways.

Presenters: Sean Kane/Carrie Peck
Organizations/Schools: Hacienda La Puente USD
Audience: 3-12

Making and using graphs
Description: Graphing is an important link between Math and Science. I will give the similarities and differences between science and math graphs. I will demonstrate and describe various graphs obtained from science experiments and how we can change and extend the data derived.

Presenters: Josephine Golcher
Audience: HS but also MS

STEM in the Outdoors
Description: Come see how Girl Scouts of San Gorgonio Council are combining Environmental Education & STEM. Learn about opportunities for students at Skyland Ranch near Idyllwild.

Presenters: Carrie Raleigh
Organizations/Schools:Girl Scouts of San Gorgonio Council
Links: www.gssgc.org

“Plastic Ocean & Microplastics: Dangers for Marine Organisms and Humans. From Ingestion to Hormone Disruption”
Description: Collaborative research and communication between high school students in Japan and Los Angeles. Data, PowerPoint, poster board and potential for future extended multi-school involvement. Seeking more high school student participation. Need for public education and action.

Presenters: Yasuyuki Kosaka and Mark Friedman
Organizations/Schools:
Audience: HS Environmental (APES too), marine Bio, AP Bio teachers; informal educators

NGSS Earth Science Resources for teacher content development and student activities.
Description: Looking for NGSS Earth Science resources? Discover Earth Science resources that have been created to support students understanding of Earth and Space Science ideas through 3-Dimensional activities and teachers content knowledge. Dr. Jeff Seitz will highlight resources on his website and the team will answer questions about instructional strategies.

Presenters: Jeff Seitz, Mena Parmar, Dawn O’Connor
Organizations/Links:
Audience: K-12 teacher
Links: http://teachearthscience.org/

Early Implementer Efforts
Description: Using Environmental Learning online resources to support NGSS and using NGSS to support Environmental Learning.

Presenters: Barbara Woods

Efforts Environmental Literacy for All
Description: Ten Strands is a California-based nonprofit focused on environmental literacy. Materials from two projects will be shared. The first is a project we’re working on with the California Department of Education focused on implementing A Blueprint for Environmental Literacy. The second is a project we’re working on with CalRecycle. We’ll introduce California’s adopted Environmental Principles and Concepts (EP&Cs) and the EEI Curriculum—a model curriculum that demonstrates how to use the EP&Cs in standards-based instruction.

Presenters: Karen Cowe, CEO Ten Strands and Bryan Ehlers, Director Education and Environmental Affairs, CalRecyle
Organizations/Schools:
Audience: All K-12 Teachers and Administrators

Links: https://tenstrands.org/ , http://www.cde.ca.gov/pd/ca/sc/environliteracyblueprint.asp , http://www.californiaeei.org/

ECOS Institute
Description: Start your lessons with phenomena to motivate students to learn the science behind what they observe. At ECOS Institute, experiencing natural phenomena is part of the students’ experience, and sparks their curiosity - which helps engage them in the classroom. Students also learn to appreciate the beauty and wonder of science. Whether or not you can join the students at ECOS, this session will explore phenomena that you can use in lessons and units to build student interest.

Presenters: Pam Johnson
Organizations/Schools: ECOS (Emerald Cove Outdoor Science) Institute Audience: 5th to 11th grade teachers
Links: www.ecosinstitute.com

NSTA Press Books: Powerful Practices Series
Description: Children want to explore, dig, build, play, and wonder. How does a teacher build and maintain a learning environment that will help students investigate meaningful questions? How does a teacher plan and manage ongoing investigations to explore concepts and develop understanding while maintaining the integrity of the curriculum? With the books in the Powerful Practices Series : The Power of Questioning and The Power of Investigating , we invite you to explore the promise that investigations offer when exploring student and teacher questions.

Presenters: Lisa Nyberg
Organizations/Schools:
Audience: K-5
Links: http://static.nsta.org/files/PB358X2web.pdf

Anaheim Ducks, First Flight Field Trip
Description: The Anaheim Ducks explore STEM concepts through lens of hockey during California’s largest science classroom experience each year at Honda Center. Joined by community organizations and corporate partners, the Ducks create exhibits and a standards based curriculum, embracing NGSS, for over 16,000 students. Learn more about this annual event and how you can become involved as a participant or partner .

Presenters: Jason Cooper
Organizations/Schools: Anaheim Ducks
Audience: Grades 3-6 / Community and Corporate Partners
Links: http://www.ducksscore.com/FirstFlight.aspx

Engaging Young Minds
Description: Engaging Young Minds (EYM) Institute is a collaboration between Los Angeles Unified School District and UCLA Science Project. EYM utilizes the expertise of local science institutions and teacher leaders to facilitate the challenges of science instruction and implementation of the Next Generation Science Standards in today’s classroom. Teachers are given resources and information that they can implement in their classrooms to meet the needs of a diverse student population during science instruction. EYM also facilitates and nurtures a network of educators who are committed to science instruction through the Engaging Young Minds Summer Institute and its series of follow-up sessions throughout the following school year.

Presenters: Lynn Kim-John, Aldo Garcia, Akiko Arevalo, & Jennifer Tróchez MacLean
Organizations/Schools: UCLA Center X Science Project & Los Angeles Unified School District
Audience: Teachers and Administrators
Links: https://centerx.gseis.ucla.edu/science-project/

Elementary: Explorations on Other Planets
Description: An adaptation from the Design Squad to discover energy fields through engineering design, utilizing scaffolding, charting, and note booking to build a magnetometer.

Presenters: Elida Abramyan and Margaret Stewart
Organizations/Schools: Lausd / Hooper Ave. Elementary
Links: http://pbskids.org/designsquad/build/inspector-detector/

Elementary - Doing NGSS Curriculum in the Elementary Classroom
Description: Authentic NGSS students work samples shared along with pictures and a Make-and-Take!

Presenters: Lavenia Howard
Organizations/Schools: LAUSD/Academy for Enriched Sciences
Audience: k-6

NGSS in Secondary Schools - integrating topics and teaching techniques

Description: NGSS integrated teaching models (middle school and high school 3-course) enable the use of key phenomena to anchor instruction. We look at ways to do this and how to support collaborative science practices.
Presenters: Gini Vandergon, Brian Foley, Matthew d'Alessio, Dorothy Nyguen-Graff and Mahya Babai
Organizations/Schools: CSUN
Audience: Middle and High School
Links: csunscience.com , bit.ly/csunngss

Reaching the Limits: An NGSS Lesson on Population Ecology for Biology
Description: Journey through an Ambitious Science Teaching Lesson in which students look at the removal of sea otters in an ocean ecosystem. Through a series of activities, students model, plot, infer, and analyze data (while applying cross cutting concepts and mathematical thinking) to figure out why biodiversity increases with the introduction of a keystone species.

Presenters: Amber Willis, Harbor Teacher Preparation Academy
Marianne Maki, Reseda High School
Irene Maliwan, John Francis Polytechnic High School
Organizations/Schools: Los Angeles Unified School District
Audience: Middle to High School, Biology
Links: science.lausd.net

Crosscutting Concepts- How Scientists Think!
Description: The crosscutting concepts in the NGSS are drivers of scientific inquiry, Learn how to use them to craft the right questions and get students to ask the right questions.

Presenters: Peter A'Hearn
Organizations/Schools: Palm Springs USD, CSTA, CA NGSS Early Implementers
Audience: Teachers K-12
Links: www.crosscutsymbols.weebly.com

Curriculum Development
Description: Using backwards design to build common core science curriculum from the NGSS

Presenters: Matthew Riley and Jessica Gelineau
Organizations: Learn4Life/Mission View Public Charter

Biology
Description: Creating NGSS aligned Performance Tasks & Summative Assessments
Presenters: Niki Patel and Jovel Queirolo
Organizations/Schools:
Audience: HS Teachers

District Implementation TK-12 Plan and shifting pedagogy in NGSS
Description: Learn about the Torrance Unified TK-12 roll-out plan and see the teacher data from the first year of implementation.

Presenters: Amy Argento, Tera Black, Marissa Stillittano
Organizations/Schools: Torrance Unified School District
Audience: All

NGSS Communication Toolkits
Description: The CA NGSS Communications Toolkits provide education stakeholders in California with ready-to-use and source materials to introduce and communicate the value and intention of the California Next Generation Science Standards (CA NGSS) and guide supporters in promoting the implementation of CA NGSS.

Presenters: Jessica Sawko and Jessica Howard
Organizations/Schools: California Science Teachers Association (CSTA) and Californians Dedicated to Education Foundation
Audience: Teachers, Administrators, District-Level Educators, Others Engaged in Supporting NGSS Implementation in CA
Links: http://ca4ngss.org

K - 12 District-wide NGSS Transition
Presenters: Lynn Rosenberry and Scott Spector
Audience: K - 12
Description: A Kindergarten – 12 th model of a districtwide investment to NGSS implementation. A commitment to providing Professional Development and resources for teacher involvement in designing NGSS course models at the secondary level, and building capacity in teacher leaders in integrating NGSS into content at the elementary level.

NGSS Implementation through Teacher Leadership
Description: The Center for Math and Science Teaching (CMAST) at LMU seeks to empower the next generation of diverse learners who actively engage in and deeply experience rigorous mathematics and NGSS science in an inquiry based student driven system to increase student achievement. Our program strives to inspire and motivate Teacher Leaders through cognitive apprenticeship to grow a culture of shared leadership through communities of practice between all teachers, principals, and district leaders. Teacher Leaders “Defense of Practice” posters will be highlighted and discussed.

Presenters: Anita Kreide and Lorenza Della Donna
Organizations/Schools: Loyola Marymount University
Links: http://soe.lmu.edu/centers/cmast/aboutcmast/

California Science Project (CSP)
Description: CSP tools, professional learning resources, and lessons-learned for NGSS implementation. Across the state, the 13 California Science Project sites partner with local school districts with the goal of developing effective implementation pathways through an understanding of the instructional shifts intended by the NGSS and a plan to build district and school administrators capacity to integrate and support those shifts using high-quality evidence-based professional learning opportunities for K-12 educators.

Presenters: Maria Simani
Audience: All, K-12 teachers, school and district administrators
Links: http://cspso.org

NGSS PD technical assistance and resources
Description: Anyone from Riverside, San Bernardino, Inyo, Mono Counties come introduce yourself! Technical assistance questions welcomed for yourself or working with your school/district. The CA Science Project network has so many experts helping teachers, schools, and districts at every stage of NGSS planning and implementation.

Presenters: Martin Baxter
Organizations/Schools:
Audience: All, K-12 teachers, school and district administrators
Links: iasp.ucr.edu

Preservice Teacher Education and State-wide Implementation
Description: Supporting new and Pre-service teachers through the NGSS implementation process is a challenge all new teachers and school districts face. We will discuss opportunities for participation in the Knowles Fellowship program as well as opportunities for elementary support in the southern California area.

Presenters: Jim Clark and Megan Clark
Organizations/Schools: San Lorenzo Unified School District, KSTF and Cal State Fullerton.
Audience: Elementary and High School preservice or early career teachers and all administrators.

NGSS Aligned Polar Science Activities
Description: Resources and lessons supporting polar science.
Try some fun, easy activities and receive lesson plans.

Presenters: Anne Marie Wotkyns and Scott Engelman
Organizations/Schools:Kittridge School For Advanced Studies, Valley Alternative Magnet School
Audience: Grades K-5

Picture-Perfect Science Lessons Success Stories and Demonstrations
Description: Successful users will share how Picture-Perfect Science Lessons are a key part of teacher and student success in their districts.
Presenters: Jake Beers, Sally Creel, Lesley Merritt, and Sheryl Sotelo
Organizations/Schools:
Audience: K-5 educators
Links: http://static.nsta.org/files/PB186E2web.pdf
http://static.nsta.org/files/PB186X2-19.pdf
http://static.nsta.org/files/PB186X3web.pdf

Using the 'Space Your In' ... to build a science program K-5. (Ideas from the CA NGSS Framework). Science is about the natural world. Each of us has an environment conducive to exploring science topics (whether or not it is the ideal environment). In addition to student engagement and test readiness, using school gardens (or exisitng environs) can boost parent/ community engagement at your campus.
Presenters: Morris Mccormick
Organizations/Schools:
Audience: Teachers, Administrators, Parents
Links:
http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/sc/cf/scifwprepubversion.asp
https://thekitchencommunity.org/
https://ca.pbslearningmedia.org/collection/captain-planets-learning-gardens-program/
http://extension.uga.edu/k12/school-gardens/curriculum/index.cfm

Prepare, Care, Share: Act Like and Engineer
Description: Helping Elementary Teachers gain confidence in trying Engineering. Grant opportunities will also be explored.

Presenter: Camie Walker
Organizations/Schools: Murdy Elementary Garden Grove, CA CTA Institute For Teachers
Audience: Elementary Teachers K-6 Middle School Teachers.

'Let us Grow'
Description: Collaboration with the University of Hawaii , math, science, engineering, and tech using hydroponics - having 5th grade students teach younger students how to grow bucket greens using the Kratky method.

Presenters: Debbie Cheever-Follett and Fiona Follett
Organizations/Schools: Hilo Union School
Audience: Elementary
Links: http://hilo.hawaii.edu/keaohou/2013/10/02/sakai-horticulture/ , https://www.nactateachers.org/images/stories/NACTA/Conference/2012/AB0236.pdf

Engineering Design at Melrose
Description: Find out how to run a school-wide Cardboard Challenge and use the Engineering Design process. Learn how we've evolved our process through the past few years. And learn about how we integrate engineering in the classroom.

Presenters: Sachiko Miyaji and Cesar Palacios
Organizations/Schools: LAUSD / Melrose Ave. Elementary Math Science Technology Magnet

Argument-Driven Inquiry (ADI)
Description: Argument-Driven Inquiry (ADI) instructional model and teachers sharing about their own experience using ADI in their classrooms.

Presenters: Victor Sampson, Jonathon Grooms & Todd Hutner
Links: http://static.nsta.org/files/PB349X4web.pdf

Data gathering/data analysis/collaborative learning in science classrooms
Description: Data collection and data analysis in a secondary science classrooms plays an important role in developing students’ scientific thinking and skills. This session will demonstrate ways to incorporate technology into your lesson plans and allow students to practice collaborative learning by looking at how their data suggest changes or patterns

Presenters: Mahya Babaie
Organizations/Schools: CSUN
Audience: Middle School and high school Science

Let’s Integrate: Middle School Edition
Description: Using engineering to drive the science. Learn how middle school science teachers in Palm Springs USD have been tackling the CA preferred integrate model and are using engineering in the classroom.
Presenters: Philip Hudec
Organizations/Schools: TOSA, Palm Springs USD
Audience: Secondary Science

Strategies for English Learners
Description: Making science more accessible for all students

Presenters: Sandi Yellenberg

Modeling in Science with English Language Development in Elementary
Description: How to incorporate language development discussions and modeling in notebooks during a science investigation

Presenters: Iraiz Ynigo
Organizations/Schools: Harrison Elementary School
Audience: K-6
Links: https://sites.google.com/site/iraizynigo/

STEM -Why Hands On Learning MATTERS: Gears- Merry Go Round
Description: How can we get 100% student engagement? How do we help all students to see themselves as scientists and engineers? Hands on learning is the secret! We will have a hands on activity using LEGO® bricks and taking it from a toy to a tool, the LEGO Education way.
Presenters: David Garringer, Rachel Solis, & Brandon Brill
Organizations/Schools: LEGO Education & Stanley Mosk Elementary School
Audience: Teachers & Administrators
Links: https://education.lego.com/

Climate science and our responsibility as educators
Description: In our current political and scientific climate it is imperative that we equip students with the tools to intelligently discuss weather and climate science. NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab has numerous tools, demos, and lessons to put data into your students’ hands.
Presenters: Brandon Rodriguez
Organizations/Schools: NASA Education
Audience: K-12 Educators
Links: jpl.nasa.gov/edu

Teaching Scientific Phenomena

Description: Students informally encounter a wealth of scientific phenomena all day and every day. Although not all phenomena are phenomenal -- many are easy to demonstrate and explain, while others may be more complex. However, decades of research suggest that phenomena are best understood by way of experiential learning, where students investigate in order to understand.  The Next Generation Science Standards emphasize importance of beginning lessons with a scientific phenomenon. We will share easy ways to make phenomena “happen” in a classroom.

Presenters: Dr. Kenneth Wesson
Organizations/Schools: Stanford University

THANK YOU to all the presenters at "Success for All, Takes us All" Share-a-thon for your wonderful presentations at the NSTA National Conference in LA 2017!!! Hope we can all stay connected and bring more educators into the conversations. :)

Zeina Moubayed Zeina Moubayed 810 Points

Collaborating with other teachers is so important! I think that meeting with other teachers and getting their advise will help gain some new knowledge. The help from others can help improve our way of teaching.

Thank you for writing, Zeina. I apologize that it has been a bit quiet in the Forum since the spring. I have recently started a local Meetup 'Success for All, Takes us All' and hope to bring more educators together face-to-face. Moreover, I hope the Public Forum will be a central place to bring more educators to share out about resources and either initiate or continue conversations.

Please share with educators who you speak with and remind them that the NSTA Learning Center has an email notification option in your Profile Page. If you go to your Profile Page, go to 'Notification Preferences' and you can select which forum posts from the Learning Center you want access to via your email. This saves you the extra step from having to log into your Learning Center account to see if someone has posted.

I recently received an email from a local museum sharing with educators that it is time to make their reservations for field trips for 2017-2018. Are there any great field trips you are planning for this coming school year?

At our next 'Success for All, Takes us All' Meetup, we are going to be discussing 'Back to School' strategies to implement. We would love to hear from you about helpful ways you get the school year off on the right foot. If you would like to create your own local Meetup for educators, please email me at [email protected]. We would love to share our experiences and look for opportunities to share virtually.
bit.ly/SuccessforAll

Please join us for our next "Success for All, Takes us All" Meetups on September 30th and October 28th, when we will be learning how to bring coding into our classrooms. Please be sure to sign up in the Meetup...there are only 30 seats available. bit.ly/Meetup_SuccessforAll Please check out the resources our key note speaker has shared with us and/or share out resources that you think might be helpful to educators. [color=#000000][size=4][font=Arial][b]Bring Coding into your classroom.[/b][/font][/size][/color] [color=#000000][size=2][font=Arial]An interactive workshop with Greg Beutler, B.S.E.E. Coding Instructor[/font][/size][/color] [color=#202020][size=4][font=Georgia]As Greg shares, "We live in a complex world, one in which technology plays a major role and more jobs require computer skills. Both coding and computational skills classes need to be a mandatory part of our youth’s education if they are to be prepared to compete for the jobs of the future and live successfully in a world where technology will be integrated into every part of their personal and professional lives."[/font][/size][/color] [ul] [li][color=#000000][size=2][font=Georgia][url=http://theconversation.com/an-education-for-the-21st-century-means-teaching-coding-in-schools-42046][color=#1155cc][size=4][font=Georgia][u]http://theconversation.com/an-education-for-the-21st-century-means-teaching-coding-in-schools-42046[/u][/font][/size][/color][/url][/font][/size][/color][/li] [li][color=#000000][size=2][font=Georgia][url=http://time.com/4261554/why-schools-should-teach-more-than-basic-coding/][color=#1155cc][size=2][font=Georgia][u]http://time.com/4261554/why-schools-should-teach-more-than-basic-coding/[/u][/font][/size][/color][/url][/font][/size][/color][/li] [li][color=#000000][size=2][font=Georgia] [url=http://theconversation.com/an-education-for-the-21st-century-means-teaching-coding-in-schools-42046][color=#1155cc][size=2][font=Georgia][u]http://theconversation.com/an-education-for-the-21st-century-means-teaching-coding-in-schools-42046[/u][/font][/size][/color][/url][/font][/size][/color][/li] [li][color=#000000][size=2][font=Georgia][url=https://medium.com/@stephanecome_44470/the-a-b-teacher-eeb2fa91b773][color=#1155cc][size=2][font=Georgia][u]https://medium.com/@stephanecome_44470/the-a-b-teacher-eeb2fa91b773[/u][/font][/size][/color][/url][/font][/size][/color][/li] [/ul] [color=#202020][size=4][font=Georgia]We will learn how to code with MIT’ Scratch program and align it with your subject- History, Science, Math, English[/font][/size][/color] [color=#000000][size=2][font=Arial][b]Dates: [/b][/font][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=2][font=Arial]Sept 30th & again on Oct 29th[/font][/size][/color] [color=#000000][size=2][font=Arial][b]Location:[/b][/font][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=2][font=Arial] Room 64 at Buena Park High School- [/font][/size][/color] [color=#ffffff][size=2][font=Arial]8833 Academy Dr.[/font][/size][/color] [color=#ffffff][size=2][font=Arial]Buena Park, CA 90621[/font][/size][/color] [color=#000000][size=2][font=Arial][b]Time[/b][/font][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=2][font=Arial]: 1- 3 PM[/font][/size][/color] [color=#000000][size=2][font=Arial]Please bring Laptops, there are PCs in the room.[/font][/size][/color] [color=#000000][size=2][font=Arial]No prerequisites.[/font][/size][/color] [color=#000000][size=2][font=Arial][b]Cost:[/b][/font][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=2][font=Arial] Free[/font][/size][/color]

Unfortunately, we have to postpone these workshops. However, please continue to check in either here in the "Success for All, Takes us All" Public Discussion Board and/or the "Success for All, Takes us All" Meetup page bit.ly/Meetup_SuccessforAll for new dates. You can also email me at [email protected] Hope everyone's school year is off to a fantastic start!!! Would love to hear from educators about resources and strategies that are helping to make the 2017-2018 school year a successful one for all their students. Thank you for all that you do as educators!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers