Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Science Experiments for First Graders?

Elementary Science

Science Experiments for First Graders?

Author Post
Erin Kandlbinder Erin Kandlbinder 180 Points

I am currently a pre-service teacher, and right now I am placed in a first-grade classroom for my field experience hours. I will be teaching a science lesson soon, and I know that scientific principles and ideas stuck much better in my mind as a student when I had a concrete example, and I feel that an experiment is one of the best ways to accomplish this. I was curious as to whether there were any tried and true experiments that could be conducted by kids with little to no background in science (or if I should even consider an experiment with such a young age group)?

Jessica Ruiz Jessica Ruiz 2465 Points

Hi, you can teach students the parts of flower and have them plant a lima bean seed. At the school where I conduct my field service hours, my teacher is doing the same with her kindergarten class. Today they learned the names of the parts of a flower such as the roots, leaves, stem and the flower and tomorrow they will be planting the seed. I think it is possible to do this with first graders as well, it will be more memorable for them and they will actually learn something.  

Darlene Scott Darlene Scott 295 Points

That is a really great idea! I am a second year Kindergarten teacher and I am always looking for ways to show visuals and do hands on science activities with my students. I may do this in the spring time!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers