Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Music with a Vegetable

General Science and Teaching

Music with a Vegetable

Author Post
Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

Take a peek at this interesting video from Sydney Australia, April 2014 http://www.youtube.com/embed/BISrGwN-yH4 The zoftic gentleman makes a clarinet out of a carrot. I think that this activity could be adapted into a phun (a physics teacher term) science activity as well as an engineering project. Students could explore open and closed pipes, sound waves, actually measure the frequency of the sound with the location of the finger holes if a bit of technology is available, try out other vegetables - zucchine squash for instance. This could lead into the students creating a vegetable band - using seeds in bags, gourds, peppers as objects that toot with varying sounds etc. The possibilities are open for exploration and discussion. Be careful with awls and tools (I would not recommend using the techniques demonstrated in the video) but other techniques that are safe could be discovered. Jug bands, straw instruments, and strings often have been used, but this is the first time I thought of using a carrot! Enjoy. and Please share with us if you do something similar or if you make a carrot instrument with your students. Music and the science of music are wonderful companions for children of all ages. ~patty

Susanne Hokkanen Susanne Hokkanen 79520 Points

I love the engineering aspect of this project! However, I agree about not using the techniques shown in the video. I was cringing as he used the drill without any protective devices on his hands. However, to encourage students to be creative in designing musical instruments could be a fun and engaging project for any grade science student. This could also help create a great connection to the arts, or for those who follow the STEAM thread. Great video - thanks for sharing!

Beth Dather Beth Dather 3950 Points

Just came across this forum. Wow, he is talented. Makes me want to try this out. But using power tools is not my strong suit. What fun the kids would have making their own instruments. Thanks for sharing! BD

Hi Margaret. Thanks for sharing. Your comments are so positive. I had trouble with the site when I clicked on it. I received a message that it is a dead page and to choose an item another way. I obtained a list of html files but none of them had music in them. If you could, would you please guide me a little bit more and help me find the music section associated with this site. Many thanks, patty

It's not all about vegetables, but here is a collection of some resources from the Learning Center that may be a foundation for STEM/STEAM lessons with musical inquiry ~patty

Kathy Biernat Kathy Biernat 4755 Points

Love these ideas!! Thanks for sharing!

History Wild Carrot Today Nutrition Cultivation Recipes Trivia Links Home Contact DEAD PAGE Sorry this page appears to have a dead link. Please try the site map to view all live pages - Site Map Interactive Floor Plans are here. Ground Floor Otherwise select from one of the main pages I am using Mozilla and this is what I get. Chrome is just another browser.

Aha! A little Aha with many thanks, Margaret. I made it to musical instruments. Thanks. ~patty

These are great, Margaret!! Once again thank you and I hope your pointing me int he right direction also opens a path for others to discover the power of carrots. ~patty

Hi Susan, Do you plant decorative gourds in your garden or only those that are eatable? I wonder how long it takes to grow the white ones that are used for Purple Martin houses. They would make interesting instruments. According to the foodie website, many veggies make sweet music. I regret that I am not in the classroom to have students try out these ideas for a fruity band.I hope some of the readers of this thread have the opportunity and share what happens in their classrooms with us. ~patty

Hi Beth,BD:} Making musical instruments is a great STEM activity at all levels of learning, AND naturally, wise educators make it a safe activity, too. I hesitated putting the video up but know that his methods of creating carrot flutes would NOT be used in our classrooms. He reminds me of some of the older science guys on TV who went for the WOW factor rather than the safe factor; however, as you noted, it is making instruments and studying sound and waves that are the featured notes on this thread. What do you think of the other resources available, Beth? ~patty

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers