Forums

Earth and Space Science

Author Post
Dominic Carrabotta Dominic Carrabotta 445 Points

Hello! What would be the best way to teach middle school students a unit on the phases of the moon? Thanks! -Dominic :)

Kelly Amendola Kelly Amendola 10320 Points

Hey Dominic, On a previous post someone had mentioned oreo moon phases. I haven't personally tried it but that's what I'm going to do with my kids. It looked like a really awesome lesson and tasty too!

Kelly Amendola Kelly Amendola 10320 Points

This website includes a lab for the students to do, as well as directions.

Attachments

Oreo Cookie Moon (External Website)

Hi I'm Ruth and teach elementary school. Our curriculum requires to teach the basic moon phases to 1st grade. I like the oreo cookie idea. I might try it next year. This year I used what I learned in a TEASP workshop. I took styrofoam balls, a flashlight, and sticks. I used a flashlight for the sun. I marked the planets and put an X so they can follow how it rotates. We modeled it several times using different students each time. My ESL 1st graders really got the model and made booklets about the moon's phases. They were even able draw pictures acurately. Hope this helps with ideas.

Lorrie Armfield Lorrie Armfield 51438 Points

Greetings All,

Below are excellent resources for instructing scholars on the phases of the moon. Additionally, http://www.instruction.greenriver.edu/physics/moon/ is also an excellent resource. Hope they help.

LA

Attachments

Brandy Stewart Brandy Stewart 7755 Points

The oreo cookie project always goes off with a bang with 5th graders for phases of the moon. You guys have added the resources, but I'll give it another blurb. AWESOME activity! The hands-on always seals the deal with their learning. I have a notebook file that I created to go along with it, but it seems that they don't allow you to upload SMART notebook files. :(

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers