Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Classroom Garden

Elementary Science

Classroom Garden

Author Post
Laura Tun Laura 1840 Points

I'm currently working on a 10 day lesson plan for elementary school students. I have planned to discuss and teach the students about what is involved in creating and maintaining a school garden. As well as teach them about the plants life cycles and vegetables that grow in certain times of the year. Has anyone ever done a school garden? If so, what activities and lessons did you incorporate? I'm open to any suggestions that can help improve my lesson plans.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

I did a search for "school gardens" in the Learning Center and found several articles that should be helpful to you. Check out the Science & Children articles as this is the journal for elementary teachers. Here is the link.... http://learningcenter.nsta.org/search.aspx?action=quicksearch&text=school%20gardens Good luck.

Zulaika Reyes Zulaika Reyes 2615 Points

I did the life cycle of the butterfly and took the students outside to the garden so make a big connect. The students loved it and some the stages in the butterfly cycle.

Kathy Renfrew Kathleen Renfrew 37148 Points

Zulaika I think it is great that you took the children outside to the garden. Children do not get outside anywhere near as much as many think they should. I am sure they did love this lesson. What did they see? What did the students do? Can you tell us a bit more about what the children did ad learned while they were outside. Kathy

Zulaika Reyes Zulaika Reyes 2615 Points

The teacher wanted me to do the cycle of the butterfly but I change it a little bit and add the repeat song to this cycle.

Kathy Renfrew Kathleen Renfrew 37148 Points

Zulaika, I have heard of adding books to this instruction but I am not familiar with this song. Did the children sing the song? What was the repeat?

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers