Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Classroom Management

Elementary Science

Classroom Management

Author Post
Tatyanna Camacho Tatyanna Camacho 350 Points

Hello, I am currently a student pursing my bachelor's degree in Elementary Education. Are there any skills or tips on classroom management you would give to a first time teacher? Have those skills or tips been effective? 

Madison Hiestand Madison Hiestand 350 Points

Tatyanna,

Classroom management is so important in the elementary schools and it helps to build relathionships with the students as well. I am a preservice teacher that will be student teaching in the fall of 2020. In all of my education classess we discuss different methods, ways, and ideas of classroom management that is relevant to all different teaching styles. 

When diving into classroom managemnet it is so important that you start it from the beginning. Do not wait weeks to implement classroom mangament because students will have a hard time adjusting. If students are aware of the expectations and the structure of the class from the start of the year there are no questions becuase they know what is expected of them. 

Another idea that I plan on implementing into my classroom when it comes to rules and expectations is that my students are apart of the conversation. I do not want to tell them what I want them to do, I want them to come up with expectations for themselves and classmates that are to be followed by everyone in the class. Along with this, I will have my students discuss the consequences that will arise if the expectations and rules are not met. This holds students accountable for their own actions and that way they do not have any questions about the expectations or rules. This method gives students ownership and voice in the classroom. As educators we will guide them into the right directions in this discussion but this gives the class a sense of community from the beginning. 

I hope this helps you with classroom management or gives you ideas for your own future classroom!

Madison Hiestand

Susan Trissell Susan Trissell 125 Points

Hello Tatyanna,

These strategies have worked for me:

1) No matter the subject establishing a consistent routine is crucial to keep young students focused on school work as much as possible. Plan for every 15 minutes of each school day. Keep morning work as tight and routine as possible, so they understand clearly what is expected. That gives students a sense of belonging and they will respond to such positive communication. Young minds and active bodies will wander off if given even 1-2 minutes of idle time. What will you be doing each 15 minutes of classroom instruction and management? And from where? Avoid sitting at your desk. Students may feel it's time to move around, if you are not standing in front of them, or walking among their desks, checking on their focus.

2) Keep in mind that young children act-out if they don't know what is expected of them. Many react in negative ways for attention, but are good deep down. You just need to understand what motivate each to focus on work. Document. Document. Document. Each student brings different issues with them. Some feel (students' terminology, not mine) 'it's better to be bad than stupid,' and all will test their boundaries with you.

3) Teach students to self regulate by using a reseach-based self-management program such as Zones of Regulation. It's okay to work in sensory breaks, or calming video breaks for the entire class, if your principal and district approves this. Write those breaks into your daily routine, and make sure to execute them along with direct instruction.

Let me know what you do try and how it works. I'm always learning and refining my classroom behavior techniques, too.

Shafflyn Kallon Shafflyn Kallon 640 Points

Hello,

Classroom management is one of the many challenges that teachers face. Sometimes, it may be overwhelming to control a class. Here are some tips that you can try to manage your classroom efficiently (They are not in any particular order):

1. Establish the class rules at the beginning og the semester and enforce those rules throughout the school year. Students will try to bend some of the classroom rules like how they sometimes bend their household rules. This is why it is important to reinforce the rules so that the students don't have any excuse to break the rules; if they do break the rules, they will be punished.

2. Always be prepared. If the teacher is not prepared for class, the students will definitely know. If the teacher tries prepare himself/herself during class time, the students will use that time to chit chat or misbehave. 

3. Always have a backup plan. We live in a world where everything is becoming digital. However, digital devices can have issues. If you create a slide show for your class on google slides, save it on windows power point just incase the internet doesn't work. You may also save the slides on a flashdrive just incase it accidently get deleted from your computer. Whatever you do, have a backup plan for whatever situation that may occur. 

4. Stay consistent. If you expect consistency from your students, they will expect the same from you. If you tell your students to say the Pledge every day during homeroom, keep that tradition until the end of the school year. Your student will become concerned if you deviate from the normal routine.

I hope that these suggestions help. 

Good Luck,

Shafflyn

Vanessa Hernandez Vanessa Hernandez 715 Points

I myself as well am a student pursing my bachelor's degree in Elementary Education. This is one of the many things that I worry about no having control of my classroom. I think that once I get to know my students, learn what is it that they need from me as their teacher, to make it the best learning environment. Once that is set I feel like my classroom management skills will begin to develop and come to adapt to the classroom needs.

Thank you Madison, Susan and Shafflyn those useful tips. I will definitely keep this in mind and use it as I begin my first year of student teaching next semester. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers