Forums

Forums / Physical Science / Pollution

Physical Science

Pollution

Author Post
Stacia Brown Stacia Brown 560 Points

Hello, I teach 3rd grade and I'm looking for some activities to teach upcycling. I think it's a rather new type of recycling, but I can't find any activities for kids. Stacia Brown

Jessica Dupaix Jessica Dupaix 2960 Points

Something that I did with my third graders is had them watch the magic school bus video about recycling and upcycling materials to create something new. Another thing that we did is have a discussion about what we could use recycled materials for other than their intended use.

Rima Alsayed Rima Alsayed 1315 Points

Hello Stacia! Most of the upcycling projects that come directly to mind are more home decor oriented, however they can definitely be modified to be kid-friendly. For example, you could take a old tissue/Kleenex box, decorate it and use it as a method of storage in the classroom. Each student could have one and it could even be used as a method of positive reinforcement, which could later help with behavior and accountability (each child takes care of their own box and self).

Raymond Jones Raymond Jones 740 Points

Stacia, I think upcycling is a term to recycle a recycled good. It is the recycled product that keeps being recycled. One idea could be to collect soda cans. You could remove the tabs, use some string, and you could make jewelry. Just make sure that the edges are completely removed.

Brenda Hornaday Brenda Hornaday 770 Points

http://nicadez/blogspot.com/2012/06upcycling-in-classroom Stacia, Upcycling sounds like a great idea. I found a lot of crafts for students to make to upcycle. The above blog spot seemed to be informative. Brenda Hornaday

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers