Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Bilingual Science

Elementary Science

Bilingual Science

Author Post
Donna Arellano Donna Arellano 945 Points

Hello, all!  I was just wondering if anyone had some advice or suggestions on how to teach science for bilingual students. Any recommendations for resources? Thank you in advance.  God bless!

Flavio Mendez Flavio Mendez 52501 Points

Donna, Did you do a search? Here is what I found. http://learningcenter.nsta.org/search/default.aspx?action=browse&text=science%20for%20bilingual%20students&price=&type=&subject=&topic=0&gradelevel=&sort=Relevancy&page=0&coll=&author= Flavio.

Ashley Gonzalez Ashley Gonzalez 2650 Points

Hi Donna! What I'd do is identify key words in the lesson and provide them with the words, their definitions and their translations (in their language) prior to beginning the lesson. Most bilingual students will be able to pick up on what the lesson is aiming at once they understand the key words though it depends greatly on their understanding of English. I recommend the aforementioned tactic and if that does not work I would provide them with visuals/videos in their native language to accompany the lesson. I hope this helps! May God bless you too!

Donna Arellano Donna Arellano 945 Points

Thank you so much for your advice!

Sydney McCain Sydney McCain 985 Points

Ashley, Your response is very helpful to me too! I begin student teaching next fall and teaching to a bilingual classroom as an English speaker is something that stresses me out when it comes to my future as a teacher. I always tend to include lots of images in the lessons that I create now but I haven't really thought about giving key words in another language prior to the lesson. I actually think it may be a cool idea to not only give it to the ELL/ESOL but the whole class.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers