Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Shadows in fifth grade

Elementary Science

Shadows in fifth grade

Author Post
Chris Taylor Chris Taylor 4785 Points

Hi everyone, I am getting ready to teach a group of fifth grade teachers form my school district and are looking at any literature connections to the Earth Science topic of shadows and moon phases. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Cris DeWolf Cris DeWolf 11965 Points

Check this out. It may be helpful. http://www.readingrockets.org/article/literature-based-teaching-science-whats-sky

Thanks so much Cris this is a great resource!

Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

Hi Chris, Your mention of shadows made me think of lunar eclipses. I did a quick search in the Learning Center and found these 5 resources that may be useful to you. 1. An External Resource External Resource: Lunar Eclipses for Beginners This interactive article explains eclipses of the Moon. Topics: orbit, phases of the moon, eclipses: penumbral, partial eclipse, and total eclipses. 2. A Journal Article Scope on the Skies: A Tale of Two Nodes By: Bob Riddle Grade Level: Middle Schoo 3. External Resource: External Resource: Phases of the Moon Grade Level: High School, Middle School This Teacher’s Domain interactive site includes images of the phases of the moon, blue moons, and eclipses. Includes moon phase animation. Topics: phases of the moon, lunar cycle, eclipses. 4. Journal Article Scope on the Skies: Eclipse Season By: Bob Riddle Grade Level: Middle Schoo 5. Book Chapter Lunar Eclipse By: Page Keeley and Joyce Tugel Grade Level: Elementary School, High School, Middle School ~patty

Thanks so much Patty! These are amazing resources. I really appreciate it.

Susan O'Brien Susan O'Brien 1870 Points

Agreed! Certainly a great resource!

Jennifer Beach Jennifer Beach 1255 Points

What Makes a Shadow is also a good book.

Linda Ngo Linda Ngo 2775 Points

What makes a great shadow sounds like an interesting book. I'm definitely going to read through it.

Sarah Benton Feitlinger Sarah Benton 1775 Points

You might want to use the Stellarium planetarium software to explore moon phases. It is similar to Starry Night Backyard, but free. I use it in addition to a moon journal activity with my 6th grade. You can download it at www.stellarium.org

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers