Forums

Forums / Distance Learning / Distance Learning Student Participation

Distance Learning

Distance Learning Student Participation

Author Post
Hannah Happ Hannah Happ 310 Points

Hello! My name is Hannah and I am a pre-service secondary science teacher. Since being somewhat remote since March in my classes I have seen it be very difficult to get student participation. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or tips for student participation for distanced learning. How can I substitute a student getting out of their seat and writing on the board into a virtual setting? Anything helps! 

Natalie Nieves Natalie Nieves 580 Points

Hello Hannah, I believe that a great way to substitute a student getting out of their seat and writing on the board into a virtual setting would be to use https://whiteboard.fi as a resource in your virtual classroom. I do believe that students do get a bit restless while in remote learning environments because they are in a comfortable place where they are usually free to do as they please. I recommend little 3 minute stretch breaks, maybe 1 per 1-2 hours of instruction, so the students can get out of their seats and come back to the lesson refreshed, energized and ready to learn.

Karina De La Rosa Karina De La Rosa 405 Points

Hello Hannah, 

This is a struggle I feel that a lot of teacher's are having with distance learning. The most important thing to do in a class when teaching in the distance learning setting is to keep the students engaged. It is very easy for students to get distracted. One way have students participate is by using Kahoot. Kahoot is an online platform that students can use from home, and I find that many students love to participate while using Kahoot. It is also a great way to assess students, keep them engaged, and have them participate. 

Valeria Deng Valeria Deng 610 Points

I personally have been working with one student and in order to get him to interact more, I started using jamboard on google. It works almost as a google doc where students are able to modify things with you. In my experience it has gotten my student to interact and participate more. I am not quite sure how it may work out with a classroom, but you may be able to make multiple and have each of them work on their own during break out rooms or something of that nature. Something else that I have done is give my students little brain breaks so that they do not get bored. They can also be educational. An example, I have done a crossword puzzle with vocab words for my student and they I have also had him play spot the differnce. 

Yasmine Velez Yasmine Velez 310 Points

I believe that the best way to get student participation is by doing some enaging activities such as kahoot or interactive video and stories. Instead of just lecturing and hoping that students are listening having the students involved is a great way.

Paula Favela Paula Favela 410 Points

Hello Hannah,

I could understand how most teachers are facing this problem, as an adult, I even have trouble concentrating during Zoom meetings, I can only imagine small children. There are so many distractions around us, especially at home. All these distractions limit the attention span. Something I have seen that works is online tools such as Kahoot. Apps and games like these seem to engage the studens in a fun and interactive way.

Tarah Wehde Tarah Wehde 1150 Points

Hey Hannah! 

Students tend to get distracted very easily and something that students really enjoy is getting on FAST which is an app where they can do a ton of different reading, vocab, math and science games. This is a fun way for students to learn and also do new things to learn. A lot of students like to do things digitally and you could also award them if they get a certain amount of minutes because you can see their progress on this. This is going to push them to want to complete more so they can get rewarded for it as well! 

Tarah Wehde Tarah Wehde 1150 Points

Hey Hannah! 

Students tend to get distracted very easily and something that students really enjoy is getting on FAST which is an app where they can do a ton of different reading, vocab, math and science games. This is a fun way for students to learn and also do new things to learn. A lot of students like to do things digitally and you could also award them if they get a certain amount of minutes because you can see their progress on this. This is going to push them to want to complete more so they can get rewarded for it as well! 

Joan SM Joan 30 Points

Hey Hannah!

In my experience, it is difficult to make all students participate meaningfully and get engaged. It may be difficult in the classroom and more so online. I have used many tools over the years, especially during the pandemic, of course. One that has generally worked really well is Kialo Edu https://www.kialo-edu.com/ Students get really passionate about their ideas but they also learn to collaborate.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers