Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Teaching Science to ELL

Elementary Science

Teaching Science to ELL

Author Post

As a future elementary school teacher, I hope to teach all kinds of children, whether with a disability or situation, as well as being able to teach students who do not know how to speak English. Also taking into account that when teaching science, new and complicated terms are also taught, my question is what strategies can I apply as a teacher to help a student who does not know any English learn science?

Dulce Sanchez Dulce Sanchez 1370 Points

Hello, I think the best way to target an English Language Learner's difficulty in learning science, would be by using representation models. You could start by implementing pictures, graphs, and examples of what topic you are trying to teach. Another thing that may help is relating the science taught in class, to the student's everyday life and using their prior knowledge.

Ana Rodriguez Ana Rodriguez 350 Points

Hi! That is awesome that you are trying to help EBE.  An idea I can share with you as a future bilingual teacher is that always try and get the student to engage by getting the student to talk about any prior knowledge they might have over the topic and go from there.  Background or prior knowledge helps the students be able to understand what is going on and make them engage into activity going on.  Another idea is to be able to simplify big words for them so they can easier understand. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers