Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / New to NSTA

Elementary Science

New to NSTA

Author Post
Kaisee Davis Kaisee Davis Davis 150 Points

Hello everyone! I am new to this community and navigating the many uses this site offers. While I am still working on my degree in elementary education, I was curious as to if anyone had recomendations. I would love to gather as many resources as possible that will aid my future instruction. What are some things that have supported your science lessons? 

Matt Bobrowsky Matt Bobrowsky 6410 Points

Have you looked at the Phenomenon-Based Learning (PBL) activities in NSTA's 'Gadgets and Gizmos' books? Here is a link to the elementary version:
http://www.nsta.org/store/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9781936959389
It's a great way to get kids engaged and excited about science.

Brenda Mireles Brenda Mireles 510 Points

I am also new to the NSTA community. This site seems like it has so much great information regarding science. I was never really intrested in science but navigating this site there are so many topics that caught my attention. I too would love to get as much resources as possible that will help me as a teacher in the future. 

Matt Bobrowsky Matt Bobrowsky 6410 Points

Have you looked at the Phenomenon-Based Learning (PBL) activities in NSTA's 'Gadgets and Gizmos' books? Here is a link to the elementary version:
http://www.nsta.org/store/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9781936959389
It's a great way to get kids engaged and excited about science.

Welcome!  It can be overwhelming because there are so many resources tucked in nooks and crannies everywhere.  For me, I'd start with building a collection of Science and Children journals.  Each one focuses on a topic, i.e., Earth and Space Science, Digital Literacy, Language of Science.  It's filled with implementable lessons, ideas, and resources.  

As a member, you have access to archived issues.  You can save them in your library for future reference. 

I've used them for teaching ideas, professional learning, and inspiration.  The journal offers a little taste of meeting at a professional conference where unique ideas, strategies, and learning occur in workshops and the hallways!  

Enjoy and keep asking questions!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers