Forums

Forums / STEM / STEM Guidance for a first year teacher

STEM

STEM Guidance for a first year teacher

Author Post
Bernardo Vega Bernardo Vega 590 Points

Hello, I am a Dominican University senior in search of input. As a first year elementary education teacher what is the best tool in building confidence in teaching STEM content and what are the best resources for guidance as to how to effectively implement and integrate STEM within their classrooms. 

Kassandra Orozco Kassandra Orozco 530 Points

Hello Bernardo, I work with children from 4th-5th grade and STEM and I would like to teach my students about the importance of STEM. My students love to work on STEM becasue the love math and science. 

Evelyn Reyna Evelyn Reyna 590 Points

Hi Bernando, STEM helps students develop critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork, and creativity to be successful in the future. In addition to that, promote digital literacy skills by providing students with learning experiences that develop their curiosity. One way to engage students with science is a website called Khan Academy that offers free video lessons, practice exercises, and quizzes covering various STEM topics that reinforce students' understanding and gain new skills.

Angela M Angela Magnelli 840 Points

Hi Bernardo, you posed a great topic and question about how to effectively integrate STEM content into classrooms as a first year teacher. Although I haven’t had much experience with this myself (since I am still studying to become a teacher as well), I have found some resources that might be useful. One of them is an article, linked here, about the value of incorporating STEM kits and tactiles into science lessons. STEM kits can be filled with legos, manipulatives, and other materials of the teachers choice. These bins/kits are a great way to spark student interest and engagement in STEM content. Another idea is to create STEM-based activities that allow students to build and construct their own prototypes. As a soon-to-be first year teacher like you, I plan to collaborate often with other educators in the designing and planning of these activities. Collaborating and partnering with other educators on this endeavor will definitely be a priority for me, especially in my beginning years. I hope some of this is helpful!

Faranica Reynolds Faranica Reynolds 240 Points

Hi Angela, 

As an inspiring teacher myself, I found your reply to Bernardo very informative. I'm currently in graduate school, studying the STEM/STEAM content. Although it may seem intimidating, there are lots of resources and kits (as you shared) to aid in integrating STEM/STEAM. As you mentioned, 'Collaborating and partnering with other educators on this endeavor will definitely be a priority for me, especially in my beginning years.' I agree collaborating with other teachers, will provide the best insight and input, for a first-year teacher. 

Maxwell Miller Maxwell Milller 765 Points

Hi Angela! My name is Max Miller, and I am currently a fourth-year elementary education major at Wartburg College. Your response to Bernardo was extremely informative. I love your idea of using legos in STEM, as a person who used to build with legos all of the time, it's strange that I didn't think of having some in my classroom to use for modeling. As for your idea of building prototypes, I am currently working on a unit design featuring the engineering design process and building prototypes. However, I have similar concerns to Bernardo, I sometimes still lack confidence in my own work, even though I have a lot of great ideas to facilitate student learning! What would be some advice to build up my confidence as an educator, and what are some resources to use for a lesson about the engineering design process?

Dalila De Leon Dalila 185 Points

Hi Angela

Regarding your response to Bernardo, I like that you are sharing very good information and resources. Resources, I will most definitely use in my future classroom as a first-year teacher. Having said this, I really hope Bernardo likes your information as well. Moreover, because I believe STEM lessons not only provide the students with a well-rounded foundation of skills, but it also helps them with a wide range of concepts in life. The students should have the opportunity to engage in fun STEM lessons in schools, and more teachers should participate in promoting them. Additionally, I think that in providing more hand-on activities or STEM lessons, it also fosters the student's academic development in the long run. It plays a great part of the student's collaboration and communication skills when working together, they use their critical thinking when making use of their creativity at performing science projects in class. 

Brandon Redina Brandon Redina 1465 Points

Hi Bernardo,

Oneof my favorite ways to engage students with science is a website called mysteryscience.com it has a lot of great topices and 'mystery doug' videos that keep students involved with topics that will keep a variety of elementary level students engaged! Wish you the best in your teaching journeY, here's a link to the website:

Mystery Science

Annelise Gruppi Annelise Gruppi 503 Points

Hi! Thank you for the tip! It is so nice how organized they are. We can find the lesson and also the link to buy with the material.

Mikayla Prusha Mikayla Prusha 1175 Points

Hey Brandon!

I loved the idea of using mysteryscience.com, I have not heard of that resource before so that is something that will be nice to add into my list of resources. Education.com also has a lot of different resouces for different subjects, along with typing skills! Thanks for the idea!

Annie Dietz Annie Dietz 725 Points

Hello Bernardo, my name is Annie Dietz. I am a preservice teacher at Wartburg College, studying to become a high school Biology teacher. When it comes to building your confidence in teaching STEM content it is important to have confidence in yourself! One thing that I have learned throughout field experience and teaching lessons of my own is the importance of having confidence in yourself. Also, being enthusiastic when teaching STEM content will help to keep students engaged. They will be interested in the topic if you are!   

Lauren Cramer Lauren Cramer 2025 Points

Annie I wholeheartedly agree with your post here. This is great advice!!

Lily Aulwes Lily Aulwes 735 Points

Hello Bernardo, I am a preservice teacher at Wartburg college currently taking Scientific Methods where we focus a lot on STEM in schools. I think the best tool to build confidence in teaching STEM is through trial and error. The more you can practice teaching STEM the better you will be at it. This may be tough at first because you may fail but that’s what makes you better. You can learn from those experiences and change the lesson to fix what didn’t go so well. Another thing that I think will help you build confidence in teaching STEM is being prepared. If you are prepared for your lesson, you will head into it with more confidence than if you weren’t prepared. It is better to be overly prepared, especially at the beginning! I think that the best resources you can find for teaching STEM maybe those on this forum. We are all teachers or preservice teachers who are trying their best to incorporate STEM into our busy schedules. Asking questions here will allow you to get the resources to be successful. Good Luck and I hope everything runs smoothly for you!

Diana Cruz Diana Cruz 425 Points

Hi Lily, 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this matter. I am also a preservice teacher who is very much interested in integrating stem activities into my future SPED classroom. Though integrating stem in a SPED classroom may pose a challenge due to there being a greater emphasis to teach students subjects like reading and mathematics in these types of classrooms. However, I would still like to research ways to offer a great science experience to my students. Going back to your post, I liked that you mentioned about building confidence to teach STEM through trial and error and adequate preparation or as you’ve stated, “It is better to be overly prepared.” Your input is refreshing because sometimes we can get caught up with trying to make everything run smoothly. We can forget that sometimes we learn best through mistakes that result in creating better science experiences for our students.

Cindy Hasselbring Cindy Hasselbring 125 Points

Hi Bernardo, I am sorry for my very late reply. This is a great question and good for you that you are willing to ask it so early in your career!  I agree with what some of the others have said. One thing about being a new teacher that you might find helpful is surrounding yourself with others who you can bounce ideas off of, feel comfortable asking questions, etc. I think it is easy to expect a lot of yourself and sometimes, it takes a few tries for lessons and activities to run as smoothly as you want them to.  If you are looking for a community of educators to swap ideas with and find STEM activities that are engaging for students, I would encourage you to join NASA's community of practice for educators, https://stemgateway.nasa.gov/connects/s/.  This community gives you access to NASA's many STEM resources, including lesson plans and activities that are easy to use and will engage your students. 

Kalleasha Collins Kalleasha Collins 950 Points

Hello Faranica,

I agree with your response to Angela. 

Another guideline I would give is at the beginning of a school year is an opportune time to establish Standard operation Procedures (SOP) before labs and hands-on activities. Taking the time to get students acclimated to the SOPs makes for a more efficient learning environment. Middle-grade students can be very active and impulsive guidelines help minimize potential accidence. Teachers' classroom management impacts how well students will adhere to the SOPs. 

Kenyata Payton Kenyata Payton 976 Points

Great question to ask. I am an Academic Coach in a Title 1 STEM school near the Atlanta, GA area. The advice I would give is to get encouragement from veteran teachers around you first. Next, most teachers think STEM is a big fancy project for students to complete when STEM is really an integration of two or more content areas. Look at your current standards for two content areas first and determine how can you naturally 'marry' the two subjects and make meaningful connections through a hands-on activity. After you identify your 'what' or standards, create learning targets that would encourage student engagement and direction. STEM is all about allowing your students to use their experiences to solve a community and real-world problem. I would definitely start out with integration and self-reflection with my students first and then use some of the apps that were suggested on the post to continue to build and grow.

Shakeshia Banks Shakeshia Banks 1173 Points

Hey there! Congrats on nearing the end of your senior year! As a first-year elementary education teacher, building confidence in teaching STEM content is super important. One great tool for building confidence is professional development workshops or courses focused on STEM education. They can provide you with practical strategies and hands-on activities to engage students in STEM learning.

In terms of resources, there are plenty of great options out there! Here are a few suggestions:

1. NSTA (National Science Teaching Association) website: They have a ton of resources, lesson plans, and articles specifically for STEM education at the elementary level.

2. STEM-focused curriculum materials: Look for curriculum materials that are designed to integrate STEM into the elementary classroom. These often provide guidance on lesson planning, hands-on activities, and assessment.

3. Online communities and forums: Joining online communities of educators who are passionate about STEM can be a great way to connect with others, share ideas, and get guidance from experienced teachers.

4. Local STEM organizations: Reach out to local STEM organizations or museums. They may offer workshops, field trips, or resources for teachers.

Remember, don't be afraid to try new things and adapt as you go. Teaching STEM is all about fostering curiosity, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. You've got this! 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers