Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Science Notebooks

Early Childhood

Science Notebooks

Author Post
Claire Ainsworth Claire Ainsworth 705 Points

I am looking for examples of creative setups for science notebooks and how to incorporate the CCSS into science notebooks.

Lisa Marks Lisa Marks 875 Points

The book Writing in Science is a great resource and focuses a lot on the claims and evidence kids should be making and using in their notebooks. It also provides a lot of examples.

Karen Reyes Karen Reyes 875 Points

Hello, I believe that a great resource to use within science notebooks are foldables. Another resource is recording sheets to fill out with information that they learned during the lesson. Anything that keeps students active in the lesson is a great source to refer back whenever they need to review. 

Kaitlyn Nicholson Kaitlyn Nicholson 5605 Points

Claire, I was interning in a third grade classroom last year and I loved what my teacher did with her students in regards to science notebooks. For each chapter of the science textbook the teacher had the students build their own construction paper notebook. For each major section of the chapter they would create a page in the book with the details they found important. They would also draw pictures to go with the information. At the end of each chapter the students would share their books as a class and discuss their ideas.

Lisset Ibarra Lisset Ibarra 1120 Points

Currently, I'm a senior in college and I have been using an interactive notebook in all my classes. The purpose of this notebook is to keep track of what I am learning in that class. I put my notes, PowerPoint slides, foldables, vocabulary words, handouts, etc. in it. This has really helped me a lot especially when it comes to studying for my final! If you incorporate this or something similar in your class I am positive that it will be very beneficial to students.

Johana Montoya Johana Montoya 1345 Points

In my kindergarten class the students have what they call a science journal. It is a small composition book where they glue any worksheet or recording sheet they do for science. They also use this journal to make drawings of their observation when I do a demonstration in class.

Brittany Koenen Brittany Koenen 340 Points

I love that you are incorporating science as such a large part of your kindergarden instruction. It is a very neat idea to have them glue pages into the book so they can keep track of it, work on their motor skills when cutting it out, and being able to access it for future reference.

Madeleine Moses Madeleine Moses 960 Points

Here are some ideas: http://sciencenotebooking.blogspot.com/search?q=seasons

Christian Page Christian Page 1190 Points

Interactive journals would be a great way to incorporate journals in your classroom. Interactive notebooks are used in many schools. They allow students to be creative by personalizing their own notes.

Jane Savatski Jane Savatski 1265 Points

My suggestions for set-up would be to record and/or post any content on the left side of the opened notebook, and write related reflections on the right hand side of the opened notebook. I tape long ribbons inside the back cover of my students' notebooks, and they use this ribbon to fold over and mark the page they are currently working on. It's often hard hard for little ones to retrieve their most recent page in a longer notebook, and this helps.

Samantha Coyle Samantha Coyle 2245 Points

I think just simply implementing an interactive notebook would suffice for science. It doesn't have to be an extreme notebook, just something where the students can keep their own thoughts, observations, experiments, and anything you want them to hold on to.

Kiley Morris Kiley Morris 190 Points

I agree that their notebooks don't have to be extreme and full of detail. I think if you go to in depth and as a teacher, start making comments on what they write/insert, they will feel as if it is more of something they have to do rather than a place they can go to write their ideas and thoughts. Keeping them interested will be more successful if they are able to freely write and keep up with their observations and experiments.

Sara Gerke Sara Gerke 770 Points

I also agree. I am student teaching in a second grade classroom where the teacher uses the science notebook as if it were a science binder. The teacher gives the students very few guidelines as to how to organize the book but uses it like a portfolio that keeps track of the students learning.

Emily Jackson Emily Jackson 580 Points

I like the idea of using interactive notebooks with little regulation, but I know for students who are less motivated these regulations can ensure their use of these notebooks.

Elizabeth Alarcon Elizabeth Alarcon 630 Points

I love the idea of students having a science journal. This can start at a young age with simple ideas, such as writing a title and drawing what happened in an activity. As students grow, they journal can become more specific. The students can separate their journals into notes, activities, and questions. I think it is important for students to write questions they have down and teachers can see these questions to see the train of thought students are having. 

Stephanie Lobo Stephanie Lobo 435 Points

I think a composition notebook would be best to use because the pages don't fall out easily insuring that all if your students work will stay in that notebook and wont get lost. Also, you can use post-its to mark off different sections you may want to divide in that composition notebook. (that's what they use now in the field schools I'm working in ) -Stephanie L.

Betsy Sullivan Betsy Sullivan 130 Points

I am venturing into interactive notebooks in my high school courses. I have the idea for implementation. Any tips on how to get students to continuously use these throughout the course?

Avery Byars Avery Byars 190 Points

Hi Claire! I am a preservice teacher at the University of Arkansas. My Science Methods professor has taught us a great way to use Science Notebooking. We each bought composition books to class. Composition books are very economical and can be easily stacked and carried for you to collect from your students. On the first page inside the composition book we have made a Table of Contents. It is really easy because you just fill it out as you go based on what activity the students will be writing about each day and what page they can find it on. It makes a great way for students to return to old ideas and reflect on what they've learned. In our Science notebooks we write the notes and for the experiments we are doing, and throughout the activity we get a few minutes of a break to sort of reflect on what we are thinking in the experiment at the moment. This reflection leaves for a great way for the teacher to come back and read about how the students' thinking has evolved throughout the activity, and if they have mastered the lesson. It's also important to stress to the students that they can write about anything they are thinking because there's no judgement on what they are writing! It's also useful for the student to go back to the beginning of the activity at the end and reflect on how their thinking has changed and what they've learned. I hope this will be useful to you and your class! Good luck :)

Gabriella Avedano Gabriella Avedano 3195 Points

Hi! I currently work at a school and the teachers are using a composition book as their interactive book and the students love it! They use it to write definitions and to paste in pictures and graphs that the students can refer back to! They make the students use lots of markers and highlighters to make the pages more exciting. When they do experiments they write the results in the interactive journal and are able to share it with their classmates :)

Jessica Tamez Jessica Tamez 975 Points

I love how your teacher would have the students share their books with the class. I feel like when the kids are able to share their work as a class. They learn so much from one another, not to mention the confidence it gives them in their work. Thanks for sharing!

Claudia Penaranda Claudia Penaranda 950 Points

Hello, I think a great tool to incorporate in the notebook are foldable, circle maps, and treemaps. in addition to pictures and cause and effect graphic organizer for students to be able to write down what they learned and how it connects to them in the real world.

Donna Arellano Donna Arellano 945 Points

Great idea, Claudia! Research states that using foldables is a great learning tool for students!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers