Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Lesson on Magnets for Kindergarten

Early Childhood

Lesson on Magnets for Kindergarten

Author Post
Shelly Garza Shelly Garza 410 Points

Hello everyone, I was wondering what was a good trick to engage the kids into the concepts of magnets. Many of them already know what magnets are, so how could I get them to be engaged and excited? They are in Kindergarten! 

Julia Sanders Julia Sanders 2195 Points

Magnets are very fun to play with and get kids excited about.  I have used magnets in many ways.  Some of which are just letting the kids explore around the room with them to see what they stick and don't stick to, after first giving very firm rules on magnets and electronics and how they are a no no.  Set a timer and let them explore and come back as a group and share.  Let each group or partner set demonstrate what they did and explain to the class what their findings were.

Julia Sanders Julia Sanders 2195 Points

Magnets are very fun to play with and get kids excited about.  I have used magnets in many ways.  Some of which are just letting the kids explore around the room with them to see what they stick and don't stick to, after first giving very firm rules on magnets and electronics and how they are a no no.  Set a timer and let them explore and come back as a group and share.  Let each group or partner set demonstrate what they did and explain to the class what their findings were.

Brandi Rodriguez Brandi Rodriguez 20 Points

Hello Shelly, a good engaging activity for kindergarteners that I have tried and saw great success is called magnet discovery bottle. It is where you fill a bottle up with water leaving the top with some space. The students will then drop some paper clips into the water bottle. They would then grab a magnet and rub it against the bottom of the bottle where the paper clips seat. As the move, the magnet higher up the bottle the paper clips will move with them. They enjoy this activity very much because they are in control of the magnet and the paper clips. It is really fun and engaging for the student, I suggest you give it a shot with your students! 

Alyssa Palacios Alyssa Palacios 320 Points

Hi! 

I feel with magnets there are some fun ways you can get your students exctied! Since they are magnets you can definitley pull some real world connection with your students. Asking them where can we find magnets? what shapes are magnets? are magnets big or small? where do magnets go? can a magnet go on just anything? Centers would be fun for them as well! giving them each a couple objects and a magnet to see which ones stick to the magnet and which ones do not. You could provide a graphic organizer for them to sort their findings or a small cute anchor chart! Then come back to whole group for a discussion about what each table found out about magnets. You could also provide magnets that are all different so they can see again that magnets are all around us in different shapes, sizes, and colors! 

Nic Peiffer Nic Peiffer 1805 Points

This sounds like a great idea. Magnets can be very fascinating to young students. I am a student at the University of Norther Iowa studying elementary education. I think that exploring what is magnetic could be really fun. If could get your hands on one magnet for each student and then for the first part of the lesson just let them explore the room with the magnets. Let them stick them to their desks, the board, the door and attempt to put them on all kind of thing. This should allow the student to learn an awful lot. They may notice that they can’t stink them to windows, or they may find out that if they turn it a curtain way they can get their magnet to stick to another student’s magnet. Kindergarteners love to explore their world. So your classroom is all you will need! Good luck. If you try this let me know how it goes!

Teresha Sutton Teresha Sutton 325 Points

Hello,

I found everyday fun activities to do different science experiences using magnets.  A great resource is Science Experience for the Early Childhood Years: An Integrated Affective Approach by Jean D. Harlan And Mary S. Rivkin.  Although the tiltle says early childhood years, the experiences can be used for kindergarden as well.

In this book, chapter 11 (Magnetism) list the following concepts:

a. Magnets attract some things but not others.

b. Magnets vary in strength.

c. Magnets pull through some materials.

d. One magnet can be used to make another magnet.

e.  Magnets are strongest at each end.

f.  Each end of a magnet acts differently.  

Im sure there will be ideas you can choose and use with your students.  I hope this helps!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers