Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Incorporating Labs

New Teachers

Incorporating Labs

Author Post
Devon Heldenbrand Devon Heldenbrand 450 Points

Hello everyone,

I am a preservice biology teacher and was hoping to get some insight on labs.  What are some of your favorite labs that you have done with your class and what made them a success?  How much of your curriculum do you typically devote to labs?  How do you typically assess labs (i.e. a worksheet, a lab report, or a display)?

Thank you for any and all insight and advice!

Gabe Kraljevic Gabe Kraljevic 4564 Points

Hello Devon,

The labs you perform depend on the grade level and the topics you teach but you can modify many hands-on activities to fit almost any grade. I believe biology becomes much more intriguing for students by incorporating as many labs as possible. 

Not all labs require formal lab reports or quantitative analysis.  Exploring slides through a microscope or recording observations of living organisms can all be considered “labs”. I feel it is good to vary your assessments to suit the activity. Quick observation labs may be followed up with worksheets.  Long-term projects like growing plants are well-suited to journaling.  I preferred paragraph answers that fostered higher-order thinking skills and promoted literacy, challenged students to sum up observations, make conclusions or connect topics.  It is also reduced copying! Presentations are also good assessments.

My favourites hands-on biology activities are:

DNA Extraction:

Students isolate DNA from crushed strawberries. The students were awed by the length and amount of DNA. Simple, easy to get supplies.  

Pop bottle ecosystem:

A long-term project in which students create enclosed terraria and observe them over weeks.  I have a collection of resources in the Learning Center you can use:  http://bit.ly/PopBottleEcosystems

Living organisms:

Just raising plants in class from seeds are excellent, long-term projects in which you explore life-cycles, requirements for growth, tropisms, and more.  Start a garden in the school yard and observe over several weeks/months.

Insects, worms, pond aquariums can be well used.  (Refer to a previous post about this: https://learningcenter.nsta.org/discuss/default.aspx?tid=mKMWu1JS/Us_E#87520

Dissections: (check with your department head or administration first)

Always fascinating to students and good for discussing ethical, scientific use of animals: Molluscs, squid, fish, and crabs can all be obtained from grocery stores rather than purchasing preserved ones. Fetal pigs are always a hit.  Completely fascinating are 'plucks' - lungs and heart from pigs:  we can get them free or very cheaply at local packing plants.  Don’t forget about plants, flowers, fruits and vegetables as dissection specimens.  

Ecological Studies:

Conduct surveys of the school yard with small quadrats made from soda-straws.  Run transects, identify species, estimate biomass and write a report on what was discovered and assess the conditions of the yard.

Hope this helps!

Gabe Kraljevic

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers