Forums

Forums / Life Science / Video Analysis...

Life Science

Video Analysis...

Author Post
Chris Leverington Chris Leverington 4035 Points

Hello! In my neverending quest to make more work for myself, I'm looking at creating an assignment for students to watch a documentary like "The Cove," "Blackfish," "Sharkwater," maybe some episodes of "Whale Wars" and do an analysis of those movies and write a paper regarding their thoughts on those movies. Have any of you done something like this before and have an assignment?? Thanks! Chris

Brian Yamamura Brian Yamamura 7410 Points

Hi Chris, I have done something like you are considering some time ago and although I have no assignment to share with you, I can let you know about my experience and offer some suggestions. When I did my essay assignment I was able to arrange with the English teacher so that the essay could fulfil requirements of her class as well as my science class. At that time the possible topics I gave were related to videos on global warming, pollution and extinctions. I did provide some guidelines but afterwards, I realized that those should have been more explicit such as making sure students addressed specific standards as per the curriculum. If you are following the NGSS now then I probably would require that students discuss aspects of the PE (Design, evaluate, and refine a solution for reducing the impacts of human activities on the environment and biodiversity.); cause and effect (Cross cutting Concept) and aspects of ecosystem dynamics, functioning and resilience (DCI). At the time I did this, the focus for the English teacher was an argumentative essay and she concentrated on that aspect and I considered more the science. It would help if both teachers provide complementary guidelines to help make sure that students don’t just focus too much on one aspect. I also had students do a peer review but again realized later that a peer marking sheet would have helped to provide better direction for the reviewer. Unfortunately, I was only able to team up with a teacher once to try this and never did follow through and make it a regular part of my teaching practice. Certainly, I need to do this again. I am not familiar with all the documentaries you mentioned but the ones I know of seem to be excellent choices that focus on controversial social issues with a critical science focus. One thing is that if you can manage to team up with the English teacher, this makes for better student buy-in as they see the fact of getting dual credit as somehow meaning less work for them. However, another thing I might consider before having them do a major essay is first do a shorter version to help students get the idea as to what is expected from both teachers and also practice their note-taking skills. I think you have a great plan and it will probably fulfill your never-ending quest. However, hopefully you will also find it quite rewarding. Good luck!

Patrick Reid Patrick Reid 635 Points

I kind of doing this in my class. It sound like a combination of two items that I have my students do. Article reviews are allowed as extra credit, and I assign videos for the students to watch under a flipped class model. I get them to complete a WSQ (Watch, Summarize, Question) for all videos completed on a Google Form, and then we discuss the questions the next day.

Here are the links to what I give to my students.
Article Review https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bgSygQM0rT8UcEp_MGX9QI8JWZLDfbg4xVpOG4casgI/edit?usp=sharing

WSQ - I got this from another person (credit given on handout) but you can change/use as you want as long as you credit them
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WyVM14c0wlfSnBemzxJnibnvgZtDNdMksjE6EXx8wvc&authuser=0

If you have any questions, please ask. You can email me back at [email protected].

Attachments

Article Review (External Website)

WSQ for Video Response (External Website)

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers