Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Take This Test and See How You Compare to Most Americans

Elementary Science

Take This Test and See How You Compare to Most Americans

Author Post
Cris DeWolf Cris DeWolf 11965 Points

Based on the questions given, I am a bit surprised by the results. I am aware of the extensive lack of scientific literacy in the general public, but thought it was not quite this bad. I scored a 100%. Much of what was asked has been covered fairly well in the media over the last 10 years.

Naomi Beverly Naomi Beverly 19130 Points

Adah- Fun quiz. I am please to note that the reason I got a lot of the problems correct is because I am diligently completing the SciPacks, and learned the information from them! All the best, Naomi Beverly

David Robinson David Robinson 2110 Points

Thanks for the link to the quiz. I took it and scored 100%. However, I like science and find it interesting and worthwhile to read about. One of the other posters noted that the questions were covered by the media in the last 10 years. I think that's true but you had to be paying attention. I think that's what we need to encourage. Thanks again.

Molly Hattabaugh Molly Hattabaugh 900 Points

Thanks for posting! This was really interesting to see what is considered common knowledge among Americans. It is good to get an idea what is expected of students. I am new to NSTA and I am learning about all the resources available. If there is anything in particular I should check out let me know! -Molly

Janelle Cook Janelle Cook 800 Points

This post was wonderful! It was fun to take the test and see where I match up with others. It was also interesting to see how many people do not know many of the questions that I may find as a given or rather simple. I agree that the sciences and math need to be emphasized more in schooling. I was a bit nervous to take this test in the first place, because it was about science! I was afraid to receive a low score. However, if it had been a reading or writing test, I would have been excited to take it and see how I score! This just tells me that I am more comfortable with other subjects than science, although I do not think that is a coincidence! Our schools are saturated with reading and writing emphases. This is not inherently bad, but would be much better if balanced with math, science, and even social studies.

Beth Eisentraut Beth Eisentraut 925 Points

This would be an excellent conversational launching pad for high school students. After discussing why each subject is important, I would also stress the need to be life-long learners. The over 65 crowd tanked compared with the 18-29 age bracket. I'm sure that many of them learned this info at one time and have lost that knowledge.

Britteny Ford Britteny Ford 345 Points

Hi, thanks for posting the quiz unfortunately I did not score a 100%. I scored 8/13 so this lets me know what I need to work on. Thanks to my professor for introducing me to this website it is a great help. I honestly do not like science or math because of the way it was taught in my classes. I have created this fear over the particular subjects.

Amber Culpepper Amber Culpepper 4355 Points

Thanks for sharing! It will be interesting to see how we score.

Dinah Macy Dinah Macy 70 Points

What an interesting quiz! I got 11 out of 13 and was surprised to see how many people scored below me. These are very simple scientific facts we should all know. It would be interesting to see how children would do on the quiz.

Nicole Shouse Nicole Shouse 1290 Points

I received an 8/13. I was surprised with what I did not know when taking this. This was a really good quiz to take to get me thinking what I need to learn more about. Thank you!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers