Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Maintaining Interest

General Science and Teaching

Maintaining Interest

Author Post
Sandra Javier Sandra Javier 1200 Points

A doubt that I have coming in to teaching is that I will have trouble maintaining the interest of the classroom in the lesson. This, perhaps, comes from the fact that I had trouble maintaining interest with my science teachers in elementary. Is there any tactics I should be aware of that are a standar form of practice when teaching elementary learners? Is there any other resources I could be involved with in order to stay up to date when out sourcing with the consideration that the teaching world is always envolving? Thanks to everyone!

Kimberlyn Reynoso Kimberlyn Reynoso 610 Points

Hi Sandra! from a former student something I would have always wanted my teachers to do in lessons is to have the students be more involved in what we are doing for example PowerPoint slides are nice when trying to get information across but they can also make the students uninterested if it's a lot of information at once so having activities or worksheets that they can have at their desks during these kinds of lessons can definitely help the students stay more engaged.

Jasmin Garcia Jasmin Garcia 690 Points

Hi Sandra! From my experience as a former student who had trouble maintaining interest in my subjects and former instructional aid, something I learned is that students want to be involved. It's one thing to lecture material, but it's another thing to give students the opportunity to interact with the material. I found that when students get those real life experiences, they're more engaged and curious about learning the topic. Put yourself in their shoes and reflect on why you had trouble maintaining interest. What did you need? What would you like to have done? Answer these and find a way to create that world for them. Science is one of those subjects that requires plenty of hands-on applications, so just bridging those opportunities for students should help you! I hope this helps.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers