Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Why is it important to teach kids about science?

Early Childhood

Why is it important to teach kids about science?

Author Post
Patricia Ponzoa Patricia Ponzoa 745 Points

Is extremely important to teach Science to kids since a young age due that Science helps children develop key life skills, including the ability to communicate, remain organized, focused, and even form their own opinions based on observation. Science is also an active subject, which contains hands on activities such as labs and experiments. This makes Science well-suited to active younger children as it is also a tremendous part of the foundation for education for all children. 

Rachael Bridgewater Rachael Bridgewater 890 Points

I think it is important becasue children have to know about things and be informed about how things work in the world. Science is a big part of our every day lives and it helps to understand what make this the way they are. Teaching science also help children to questions thing and inquiry which helps with deeper thinking. This is helpful and we all enter adulthood. Children can learn that science can be a fun experience. 

Ashley Eljaiek Ashley Eljaiek 325 Points

What many don't realize is how important science is in society. Science is everything. Without science it would be extremely difficult to understand many basic things of life. Like life science, one's anatomy, climate change and many more. It is extremely important to teach kids about science because it helps children build vital life skils and can help them remained focus on things. Science is also extremely important in developing a child's ability to come up with questions and answers like an investigation which is done a lot in a science classroom. 

Dana Cardona Dana Cardona 1265 Points

It's important to teach kids about science for various reasons! Teaching science to kids provides them the opportunity to increase their overall understanding of the world that surrounds them and how/why things work. Also, science education activities give kids the opportunities to develop and even practice many different skills. Believe it or not teaching science to kids strengthens their communication, collaborative, and organization skills.

I believe that it is vitally important to teach science to students! First of all, it is such an easily engaging content area when taught correctly, with the right resources. I think most of all, it is important to build a foundation of knowledge with which these kiddos will build upon their entire lives while learning how the world works around them!

Adriana Valencia Adriana Valencia 400 Points

It's the root of our daily observations and the world we live in. Science helps children develop life long skills that embed the ability to remain organized and focused by communicating inferences with other students. This overall helps children become aware of their five senses and overall understanding of the life they're living in. They will aquire knowledge that's vital to their conceptual understanding of problem solving through scientific contexts. Once they've researched and experimented the natural and physical world they can choose to continue studying this subject for the rest of their education (ie. university level studies) and have a future career based around science. 

Adriana Valencia Adriana Valencia 400 Points

It's the root of our daily observations and the world we live in. Science helps children develop life long skills that embed the ability to remain organized and focused by communicating inferences with other students. This overall helps children become aware of their five senses and understanding of the life they're living in. They will aquire knowledge that's vital to their conceptual understanding of problem solving through scientific contexts. Once they've researched and experimented the natural and physical world they can choose to continue studying this subject for the rest of their education (ie. university level studies) and have a future career based around science. 

January Morin January Morin 280 Points

Science is how children are able to connect and comprehend the world that surrounds them. Children are very curious and ask so many questions about almost everything like how plants grow or why the sun is so bright? Thanks to science, we have almost the answer to each of their questions. 

Grace Powers Grace Powers 1060 Points

In todays world scientific knowledge is everything. Science answers questions and seeks to find more answers about our world. Science makes students ask more questions which in turn makes students more curious and smarter.  It connects students to their environment and where they live on a deeper level. It also helps students understand thier environment and how to protect and improve it. Science can also teach bacis skills like how to plant and grow food, how to start a fire, and even basic levels of physics. 

Hannah Rumble Hannah Rumble 398 Points

Science is important to teach to our students because it has a critical thinking component embedded within it. In science, you are constantly coming up with hypotheses, testing them, tweaking them, asking questions, and using your brain to come up with how or why something works or doesn't work. Science is also an important discipline to teach students because of the world we live in. Science is all around us, from the way plants grow, to the water cycle, to the life cycle of animals. It is vitally important for students to know these things so they can help make our world a better place. 

Hannah Guseman Hannah Guseman 630 Points

I have read some really great responses here! Science is such an important subject because it includes every aspect of life. There are so many braches in science, it is hard to consider it all one subject. Biology explains life, and its natural processes, Geology explains the world we live in enviormentally, and some braches explore the cultural/geographical aspects, Chemistry explains just about every question we could ask about water/our air/the atoms we're all made from! It is truly amazing how much impact science has on our world and how much it ties into everything we have/are/do. It is crucial as an educator that we can help fix misconceptions students may have about science, and help them to brige that gap of understanding.

Sydney Miller Sydney Miller 220 Points

I am currently placed in a third grade classroom and have previously been placed in a kindergarten and first grade room as well. Science had made an apperance in all of my previous placements and will play a big role in my current placement in third grade. I think it is extremely important for students to be educated on science as it is a huge part of our every day lives. Science appears in more things than anyone could ever imagine. Every living, breathing thing is connected to science in one way or another and it is important for students to be taught those reasons at a young age. We are all given life because of the nature behind science. Science can be taught in so many ways too. It can be a fun, interactive, hands on activities for students to learn about. There are a million ways to include science into any lesson as well. 

Lexi Henry Lexi Henry 335 Points

It is extremely important to teach children about science. First of all, science is everywhere. From clouds in the sky to bugs crawling on the ground, it's unavoidable. Second of all, science is always changing. If kids are appropriately taught the foundations at a young age, they will be at an advantage for the rest of their lives. I am currently student teaching in a first grade classroom. I noticed right away that science is put on the backburner. This is sad- especially because of how much fun teaching science can be. As a teacher, you have the power to make class as fun or boring as you want. It's in your hands. In my opinion, science is one of those subjects that give so many opportunities to be creative. You could take the class on field trips, do experiments (with food!), explore the outdoors, and so much more. Science is everywheere, and I think it needs to be more of a focus in today's classrooms.

Sierra Kindred Sierra Kindred 250 Points

Science is extremely important to teach young children. One reason being that science surrounds them in their everyday lives. They see it outside among nature, such as the various landscapes, types of habitats, and weather. Including science into education also allows for students to build their curiosity about the world around them. This is important because then students are able to use evidence to critically think about the world around them and develope a deep knowledge about the various topics included in science. The experimenting in science teaches students to carefully read directions, conduct research, create a hypothesis, and produce results using the experiment. The wide range of skills student learn in science are skills they will be able to use in their everyday lives. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers