Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Want to Share NGSS but Don't Know Where to Start?

Elementary Science

Want to Share NGSS but Don't Know Where to Start?

Author Post
Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

Hi Are you wanting to begin working with NGSS but don't know how? We need to spread the word to administrators, principals, curriculum leaders and more . There is work already done that will help you. I can share that work. NGSS calls for collaboration so why not share? Here is a presentation I created to introduce NGSS to a group considering changing the requirements for an elementary endorsement. I would love feed back a I am sure I will be using it frequently in this year of developing Awareness of the NGSS. Thanks Kathy

Attachments

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Wow Kathy!

Thanks so much for sharing your NGSS intro slides. They are fantastic and will surely be an outstanding resource for teachers as we begin to implement the NGSS. Here are a few NGSS related resources that I've found over the past few weeks:
Science Teaching Junkie
NSTA NGSS Resources
Free Resources for Building an Awareness of NGSS
NGSS Lesson Plan Template

I've also noticed that several state DOEs have started publishing guidance on how to implement the NGSS into classrooms. We have not started to implement the NGSS into our classroom in NC, yet, but I am already starting to look for ways to implement them soon!

Are other teachers in states that are already implementing the NGSS? I'm curious to hear how pacing guides and curriculums are changing to meet the NGSS.

Maureen

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

Kathy, Wow, what a beautiful PowerPoint. As always your resources are incredible. I really like how you broke each of the sections down into manageable, understandable chunks of information. Maureen, thank you for sharing the additional resources. I particularly like the “Free Resources for Building an Awareness of NGSS.” The embedded links were especially helpful.

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

Has anyone worked with the Concord Consortium interface?
I like the set-up here
Find your path through the Next Generation Science Standards with help from the Concord Consortium.

Start in the center with a core idea. What do you teach?
Add a scientific and engineering practice—or two!
Add a crosscutting concept.
You've created one path through the NGSS. Use the Concord Consortium resources available for that path below

Cris DeWolf Cris DeWolf 11965 Points

There is an app available from MasteryConnect for the NGSS: http://www.masteryconnect.com/learn-more/goodies.html I used it today while at a mtg to work out the agenda for a teacher workshop later this fall. It worked well. Scroll down the page. There is also one for the Common Core.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Thanks to all of you for the wonderful resources. I really like the Concord site!!

Kathy Sparrow Kathy Sparrow 47692 Points

Kathy, Great powerpoint. Thanks for sharing it. it's perfect to use with my pre-service, and especially, my graduate students. Kathy

Thanks for the comments but I am always willing to share. So my question is..after using the introductory PowerPoint what would you want to do for a next step? And what resource would make that next step easier for you? I have realized that NGSS really is not on most elementary school teacher's radar due to being overwhelmed by the expectation of full implementation of the Common Core. So knowing that what can I do to begin to bring science to the classroom without making the load of the elementary teacher any more difficult. thoughts?? Kathy

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Everyone,

My September 2013 NSTA Reports came in the mail yesterday. I was excited to see an article named 'THe Elementary Value of Integrated Curricula' by Katie Morrison and Wayne Snyder just inside the cover. The article discusses the key components of an integrated curricula. It also has a fantastic venn diagram that shows the overlap of the elementary Math and ELA common core standards with the NGSS. If you haven't had a chance to read the article yet, be sure to take a look at it...fantastic read with great information!

Maureen

Waiting with baited breath!! I hope my copy of NSTA reports shows up soon. We are beginning work with some teachers and my colleagues in ELA and math to try and create some different sample of integrated units.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers