Forums

Forums / Life Science / All About Bird Biology

Life Science

All About Bird Biology

Author Post
Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

Some life science teachers include bird populations in their lessons and do some field work with their students. To support this group, I am including more information from Cornell's Lab or Ornithology. This is a new option from them.

Here's your chance to explore All About Bird Song—the latest interactive feature from the Cornell Lab.
http://biology.allaboutbirds.org/all-about-bird-song/?utm_so...i=14073250

Become bird song savvy with All About Bird Song—your interactive guide to the world of song.

With up-close video portraits followed by the Bird Song Hero sound visualization game, you’ll be uniting your senses to remember and appreciate the voices of over 30 favorite birds.

Then it’s time to dig deeper by animating the voice box and listening as young birds learn their songs. Finish up by joining two musicians as they experiment with bird song—from the melodious to the downright weird.

Reward yourself with free bird songs and Powerpoint download

There are 7 sections and one even has musicians playing with bird songs.

This sharing from Cornell seems like a neat tool to integrate into student lessons.

In the past, we have share information on how to record bird songs with a free tool from Cornell called Raven Interactive Sound Software. I will put that in a second thread.
~Patty

Holly Shum Holly Shum 3665 Points

Patricia, You got me hooked on ornithology! I love birds, but I never learn about them since my major has nothing to do with them. I love how there are so many different kinds of birds, and they are important and beautiful in nature. Thank you for sharing the site, and I hope I can learn something about them!

Hi Holly, I agree that the avian world is awesome. What do you teach or plan on teaching? Studies that focus on birds and their biology and/or ecology often integrate into many areas of life and physical science, even physiology. When you have some time, browse around the Learning Center and do a search of birds and see what may appear. Meanwhile, happy birding to you. Even noticing birds in the backyard opens a window into a wonderful part of nature. Thanks for your enthusiasm. Patty

Barbara Villarnovo Barbara Villarnovo 2955 Points

This is an awesome source, thank you!

You are most welcome, Barbara. When you have the opportunity, tell us how you envision a teacher using it in a lesson. Your sharing will enrich all of use. Cheers, patty

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers