Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Skype a Scientist and other Livestreams with Scientists

Elementary Science

Skype a Scientist and other Livestreams with Scientists

Author Post
Rachel Webber Dr. Universe 255 Points

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has used Skype a Scientist or done other kinds of livestreams with scientists and researchers who 'virtually' visited the classroom? I'd love to hear your experience. I am thinking of hosting a skype session with a scientist for a 4th grade class. Did it take a lot of time? How did you find the scientist? What was it like? 

Any insight would be great! Thanks,

Rachel

Btw, if there is a thread on this already just let me know! 

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

For the past 3 years we have skyped with scientist onboard the Nautilus! Our target grade level is 4th grade. Before the skype session in the fall, we follow the crew onboard, watch their live videos and and explore past videos and photos so that we have some idea of what they are doing-mapping the ocean floor. There is a lot to learn about their two robots that go in the water and the variety of jobs and people who hold those jobs that are onboard. Who doesn't love Dr. Robert Ballard??? In the spring, one of the university professors, who was on the Nautilus for a few weeks, will come to school to lead buoyancy experiments with the help of volunteers. The 4th graders love it! 

The scientist, Dr. Amber Hale, from McNeese State University reached out to us!

Rachel Webber Dr. Universe 255 Points

Pamela, this sounds so awesome! Thanks for sharing. Did the scientists provide information about the past videos and context information? Or is that something that you pulled together?

Do you know if Dr. Hale does this with other classes or has she kind of 'adopted' your fourth grade class? That's so cool she reached out to you. It sounds like a great science communication excercise and outreach experience for the scientists, as well! 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers