Forums

Next Generation Science Standards

NGSS & The ACT?

Author Post
Henna Ibrahim Henna Ibrahim 20 Points

Hello all, I hope that you all are well. I am wondering if any of you have advice on how to effectively marry the NGSS with the CCRS (College & Career Readiness Standards) that drive the ACT. I am held to high expectations at my school for student performance on the ACT. I would love to hear about how to marry these two sets of standards. I look forward to hearing from you all!

Amber Peck Amber Peck 835 Points

After much training on NGSS, I think if we focus on the basic vocabulary and teach how to use analytical skills, then the students should succeed with the ACT testing. From what I know on the ACT, it is alot of data driven analytical information. Can the students correctly examine a chart/graph to pull needed information, etc.

Ann Pearson Ann Pearson 310 Points

Hey Henna - Since the Science and Engineering Practices and the Cross Cutting Concepts focus on getting the kids to think like scientists and solve problems like engineers, if you are implementing the NGSS in your class, you will be preparing the kids for the ACT by helping them to think critically and analytically - the more you interweave the 3 dimensions of learning (DCI, CCC, and SEP), the more the kids should create those habits of mind and the better they should do on the ACT in my way of thinking. I think some direct teaching of both the SEP and CCC is a good idea too - high school students should be able to start making their own connections, recognizing patterns, etc., but it will help if they are familiar with the SEP and CCC - metacognition! :)

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers