Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / Children's Literature Book

Next Generation Science Standards

Children's Literature Book

Author Post
Cecilia Reyes Cecilia Reyes 280 Points

Hello, 

I recently worked on a lesson plan that had to do with a children's book. My book was called ' I Wish I Had Freckles Like Abby' and this story was about a two friends called Rosa and Abby, Abby has freckles and Rosa attends many strategies to get freckles like her friend. Then she learns that what she might dislike about herself may be just the thing someone else envies. Abby learns to appreciate her own uniqueness. My question is what kind of experiment can i do with the students that can connect to this story? It has to do with inherited traits. 

Thank you!

Chad James Capote Chad James Capote 200 Points

This is an excellent attempt, all the very best. I would suggest you compare the nutrient contents and benefits of fruits and vegetables. Either you could take fruits and vegetables as Abby and Rosa or pick a particular fruit and vegetable. You could show that they've different nutrient benefits to us just like each human adds value to the world in a unique manner. 

Ashley Bang Ashley Bang 175 Points

This is such an interesting perspective on this topic. I think discussing the human body and having students identify different traits could really connect closely to the story. As someone earlier had also posted, with the idea of nutrition, experimenting with different foods and different cultures could also highlight uniqueness. 

Darlene Nguyen Darlene Nguyen 280 Points

I like your topic. Teaching kids bring their own unique and be confident about themselves is important. The more condidence they have, the better they will learn.

Alfredo Baker Alfredo Baker 20 Points

Children grow up smart reading books, so I think every child should read a lot of books.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers