Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Speed Phenomena Lesson

General Science and Teaching

Speed Phenomena Lesson

Author Post
Anna O'Brien Anna O'Brien 1880 Points

Hello! 

I am a student teacher and I am looking for a phenomenon that I can use to introduce speed to 6th graders. If anyone has any ideas, that would be amazing! 

Hanna Schmitt Hanna Schmitt 470 Points

Hi Anna, 

I am currently a pre-service teacher attending Wartburg College in Waverly, IA. I recently attended an online NSTA professional development opportunity called 'Transforming Science Learning: Phenomena Drive Instruction' that seems related to your topic. This seminar introduced me to a great resource for finding phenomena to use in the classroom. The website allows you to search for phenomena and explore different possibilities. Here is the link: https://www.ngssphenomena.com

I hope you can find something your 6th graders will enjoy!

Hanna Schmitt

Mandy Medlin Mandy Medlin 580 Points

You can do something as simple as having them slow walk, then normal walk, then jog, then run. You can ask them what the difference between the 4 things were. Which one would be the one to use if you wanted to get somewhere fast? Which one would take the longest? etc. Talk about energy and speed (more energy, more speed)

For online teaching you can have them stand up and do each of these in place.

Kayce Brent Kayce Brent 10 Points

'Hi Anna, 

I am currently a pre-service teacher attending Wartburg College in Waverly, IA. I recently attended an online NSTA professional development opportunity called 'Transforming Science Learning: Phenomena Drive Instruction' that seems related to your topic. This seminar introduced me to a great resource for finding phenomena to use in the classroom. The website allows you to search for phenomena and explore different possibilities. Here is the link: https://www.ngssphenomena.com happy wheels

I hope you can find something your 6th graders will enjoy!

Hanna Schmitt'

Wow, thank you so very much for your amazingly detailed reply!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers