Forums

Forums / Life Science / Mutations

Life Science

Mutations

Author Post
Marybeth Norton Marybeth Norton 3860 Points

Looking for an activity to support Mutations.

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Hi Marybeth,

Have you tried a keyword search in the Learning Center? I searched using the word mutation and found this middle school resource Learning Genetics with Paper Pets. I also found this resource for a college classroom Favorite Demonstration: Using Dice to Explore the Consequences of DNA Mutations. After looking at it, I believe you could very easily adapt it for a high school classroom.

What age level do you teach? If you could provide some more information, I could give you some more ideas.

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Marybeth and welcome to the discussion threads,
Another individual had asked a similar question at the discussion thread, 'Genetic Mutation Activities'. You may find some additional great ideas there.
Carolyn

Kathryn Mattila Kathryn Mattila 2625 Points

In my genetics unit, I give students articles on mutations and we have a philosophical chairs to discuss whether mutations are good or bad for organisms. This does lead into the idea of natural selection later on in the year. The students really enjoy and some don't realize that there is good mutations for some organisms.

Apartment Patino Mario Patino 1295 Points

I really enjoy teaching the students about mutations. This topic has a significant impact on the depth we learn genetics and evolution. The founder of our school died of breast cancer, so we link how mutations play a role in such diseases but also how they can promote reproductive success.

Jared Kilmer Jared Kilmer 970 Points

Mario, As a student teacher, it's interesting how you said you incorporated the concept of diseases with mutations. I can recall a perfect example of a mutation just recently when I went to the doctor with a cold. The doctor refused to prescribe me antibiotics because many of the viruses physicians are seeing today are anti biotic resistant because they're so over prescribed. I was also looking in another chat forum where teachers were discussing the incorporation of science fiction movies into various lessons, and the movie Outbreak, dealt specifically with virus mutations. I also liked, even though the event maybe a tragic one, how you incorporated a real life event that the students can relate to.

Apartment Patino Mario Patino 1295 Points

Thanks Jared. Making learning goals relevant to the lives of your students can be an effective strategy in achieving learning goals-a "hook." In the past when I do not take their interest or current knowledge in consideration, the learning is ineffective.

Jamie Vincent Jamie Vincent 1395 Points

In my Elemantary Science methods class I adapted this lesson...
Mutations and Variations
to fit the needs of my imaginary class.
We also performed this activity during class and it was quite exciting to see several college students running around trying to collect peanuts. My recommendation would not to use peanuts but rather Smarties or Tootsie Rolls.

Kelly O'Connor Kelly O'Connor 2740 Points

The CDC has glorious resources regarding bacterial mutations. Viruses do mutate, but not because of antibiotics. The CDC is noticing a remarkable trend in the misuse and abuse of antibiotics. Many "colds" and even the "flu" are viruses, not bacteria, and do NOT require antibiotics by prescription. Overuse of antibiotics kills off the weak bacteria while the stronger ones survive and frequently develop a resistance. The thing is ,that many bacteria species have short generation times - some e.coli reproduce every 20 minutes - which means they can pass on the heritable trait of antibiotic resistance to many many offspring. Check of PBS and NOVA for natural selection issues and resources. I would suggest the students look for incidences of antibacterial abuse in their own school and homes - tricolsan in soap and toothpaste, hand sanitizers everywhere, etc, and brainstorm ways to spread awareness. What a fascinating topic. Good luck.

Mary Ann Ng Mary Ann Ng 3385 Points

http://www.ehow.com/how_6307096_make-dna-model-mutation.html DNA mutations with beads...visual and fun.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers