Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Music in Science

Elementary Science

Music in Science

Author Post
Jacquelyn Trevino Jacquelyn Trevino 260 Points

Hello everyone,

Upon my completion of becoming a teacher, I would like to know if music can be an engaging form of learning science in the classroom? Music has a huge impact in children's lives and most love singing or dancing. What do you all believe towards using music in science? Is it good or not?

Thank you!

Carolyn Halpern Carolyn Halpern 190 Points

It’s the best. I use music in science in many ways. There are many catchy songs in science on things like the life cycle and planets for younger kids. I play polka music while students get their materials for experiments. Those are two of the ways I use music.

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Hi Jacquelyn -- Music can be used in science class in a variety of ways.  

• In a physics lesson on sound, your students could explore how various instruments produce sounds of different frequencies and qualities.
  • There are lots of sites on songs about science, but I found that students are more than capable and creative enough to create their own songs!
  • Dance or movement is a kinesthetic way to teach concepts. Think of having students portray the chromosomes during mitosis (even high school students enjoyed that!).
  • Even playing soft music in the background can be calming or drown out extraneous noise. My students loved Mozart. 
  • --Mary B

Deborah Bronner Deborah Bronner 650 Points

Hi Jacquelyn, Music is always an effective way to engage students.  To start a science lesson, find music from a movie soundtrack that relates to a science topic and play it for the students at the beginning of the lesson.  The students will participate in a discussion about how the music makes them feel and how the music correlates to the science lesson.  Additionally, there are songs that have words that relate to science, such as the itsy bitsy spider for the early grades.

Deborah Bronner Deborah Bronner 650 Points

Hi Jacquelyn, Music is always an effective way to engage students.  To start a science lesson, find music from a movie soundtrack that relates to a science topic and play it for the students at the beginning of the lesson.  The students will participate in a discussion about how the music makes them feel and how the music correlates to the science lesson.  Additionally, there are songs that have words that relate to science, such as the itsy bitsy spider for the early grades.

Lauren Wilson Lauren Wilson 200 Points

What a great idea! I would have never thought to incorporate music in science. Since music is somethingo our students will be so interested in I think incorporating it into science can only increase their desire to participate in science activities. Sounds very interesting to me and maybe something I could implement in my classroom (I am preservice right now!).

Derrick Lietz Derrick Lietz 438 Points

Hi Jacquelyn,

I believe music can be used in any subject to engage students, so I don't see science being any different. Lyrics along with a melody creates a great strategy to help remember certain topics within science. Music can also evoke a positive and fun learning environment, which would encourage students to sing or dance along. I feel like elementary students especially love music and dance. Through a quick search on Youtube, I found a plethora of elementary science songs through searching 'elementary science songs.' I'm sure if you wanted to find a specific topic, someone out there probably made a song!

Another way you could utilize music and dance in elementary science is through having the students create their own song or dance! This will create an opportunity for students to have a meaningful learning experience as well as form their own method of learning the science material.

Good luck!

- Derrick

Sheena Juliano Sheena Juliano 710 Points

What an interesting idea. I don't see why not. I think music can go hand-in-hand with Science when you want the students to easily remember something (ex. turning important key points of a lesson into a memorable song), or when you are possibly doing an experiment involving sounds. I think music and Science can work well together! It's a good way to engage the students' senses this way.

I believe that music is an incredible way for young students to learn something that may seem hard or complicated at first. It kind of relieves any sort of tension they may have built up about a certain subject, or even help them pronounce scientific words that would otherwise be hard on their own. I love that you want to incoporate the music with science. I completely agree that it would work wonders. 

Zahira Mendez Zahira Mendez 520 Points

Hi Jacquelyn! My name is Zahira Mendez and I am currently a student at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley- Brownsville in the education program aspiring to be an elementary teacher. I think that incorporating music in the classroom will engage students in learning scicence in an entertaining way. It is demonstrated that music increases children's capacity for attention and concentration, thus enhancing their performance at school. Music stimulates memory, analysis, synthesis and reasoning, and therefore learning. As a future teacher, I would like to add music in my classroom as a tool since it will  benefit students to remember certain topics such as food chain, elements of earth, water cycle and etc. I remember when i was in high school, my chemistry teacher always played songs about the periodic table of elements and until this day, I can remember certain elements. 

Sonia Ayala Sonia Ayala 240 Points

Hello Jacquelyn, I believe that kids enjoy learning if they listen to music. I think that it's more interesting for them when a teacher engage music while teaching a lesson.

Brooke Smith Brooke Smith 1810 Points

I strongly believe that integrating music into a lesson is a great way for students to be involved and engaged in their learning. This is essentially true for just about all subjects regardless of the content, so I believe that using musical elements in science lessons is a fantastic idea. For example, you can take a specific idea/topic that the students are going to learn about and turn that concept into a song that the students could learn to better understand the material. Growing up I was always involved in music in some fashion and would have enjoyed having music as an element to my learning.

Barbara Daley Barbara Daley 465 Points

I am currently substitute teaching in music and I've been looking for a way to bring some science into the classroom.  I found a website exploresound.org which is run by the Acoustical Society of America.  It has some lesson plans, videos, experiments.  It also shows a variety of science careers that are based on sound/music.  I hope this helps.

Barry Smith Barry Smith 1928 Points

I enjoy using music in the science classroom.  Any chance I get, I try to find songs, raps, videos to help my students learn about the topics I am teaching.

Kassidy Cragg Kassidy Cragg 205 Points

Hi! I am also in the works of becoming a teacher. After reading some of the replies I see that teachers love using music in their classrooms. This is great because I plan to do the same in my future classroom. I remember being in school and having songs to help me learn things and I can still remember them to this day. I think music is  great thing in classrooms no matter what subject the students are studying. 

Andy Tran Andy Tran 440 Points

Hi Jacquelyn! 

I think singing and dancing can definitely be used to engage students in science! For instance, I used to teach my students the different steps of the water cycle through a song and dance when I taught environmental science. I also adjusted the vocabulary and lyrics depending on which grade I taught. However, if you can't find the time or resources to incorporate music into your lessons, you can always try playing music while they read or do an assignment. Lastly, I think YouTube is a great place to start looking for songs and videos related to science! 

I hope this helps you! 

Good luck! 

Emily Williams Emily Williams 1355 Points

Changes by David Bowie for physical and chemical changes! :)

Sana Nazar Sana Nazar 480 Points

Hey Jacquelyn,

I completely agree! Music, chants, and rhymes are all great strategies that can be used to enhance lessons and engage students. 

The Project WILD program 'Growing Up Wild' from the Association of Fish and Widlife Agencies has some neat lessons with music already included. Check out some of their resources here: https://www.fishwildlife.org/projectwild/growing-wild/activity-resources

They also provide trainings for teachers.

Lydia Coley Lydia Coley 685 Points

Hello,

I agree with what everyone is saying about music. Music will help the kids remember cycles, words, and themes of the science unit!

Amanda Zopfi Amanda Zopfi 1120 Points

I believe that using music in the classroom is very beneficial. Songs about the current topic they are learning can make the lesson more interesting for them. Music is also an easy way for students to memorize important information since there is a rhythm or beat to go along with it, even more so if the song rhymes! You could also have the students do different hand or body motions go along with the song so they can have a visual representation alongside the auditory representation.

Camille Dinnat Camille Dinnat 340 Points

Hi there, 

I am currently studying to become an elementary teacher! Coming from a background where music is a way of life, I love reading all of these posts that have so many tips and tricks about how to incorporate music into the classroom, especially science class! I believe that music is one of the best ways to get students to engage in a lesson or activity. Thank you for this post! 

Laurie Salvail Laurie Salvail 305 Points

Music is a great tool that can be used for motivation in any classroom. I love finding simple tunes that can be used to help signal to students that it is time for something different (for example a tune that lets groups know that it is time to clean up and come back together as a whole class). 

Brittney Ramirez Brittney Ramirez 430 Points

Incorporating music can be a great way to get the children more invloved in their learning. It is very useful if you are teaching them about a specific topic and there is a song that helps them remember. You can also use music as an incentive for good behavior during a lab or lesson. 

Samara Anaya Samara Anaya 75 Points

Hello Jacquelyn, I am Samara Anaya and I am currently a student at UTRGV in Edinburg, currently with the Pandemic had to do everyhting online. I want to become a Bilingual Elementary teacher in the future, preferably with kiddos from 1st grade up to 3rd grade. I love the idea of making a difference in a child's life let alone with multpiple. It is always a great idea to have so much positivity, patience, and of course what better way than to implement music to a lesson. Yes, learning sometimes is not as fun when just reading off a book nothing like utilizing the magic of music! 

Samara Anaya Samara Anaya 75 Points

Hello Jacquelyn, I am Samara Anaya and I am currently a student at UTRGV in Edinburg, currently with the Pandemic had to do everyhting online. I want to become a Bilingual Elementary teacher in the future, preferably with kiddos from 1st grade up to 3rd grade. I love the idea of making a difference in a child's life let alone with multpiple. It is always a great idea to have so much positivity, patience, and of course what better way than to implement music to a lesson. Yes, learning sometimes is not as fun when just reading off a book nothing like utilizing the magic of music! 

Jillian Klein Jillian Klein 205 Points

As a student, I always found music to be very helpful whenever integrated into other subjects. I remember learning songs about planets, the water cycle, and ecosystems that helped me remember concepts and connect ideas to one another. I believe that using music in science engages a wide range of learners and is a strategy that should be implemented by teachers whenever possible. 

Mary Davis Mary Davis 1985 Points

I think using music in the science classroom is a great idea! I was a DJ at my college radio station and music has always been a huge part of my life. Based on watching my own daughters learn and grow, I have been able to witness the dynamic effect music has on children so early in life. Before my daughters were even able to crawl they would move to the beat of music. My 5 year old now makes up songs about her daily activities whether it is about taking a bubble bath or playing on the playground or really anything! I don't have any real classroom experience to support this but I can see how encouraging music/songs could help children make connections in science. 

Sophia Traficante Sophia Traficante 665 Points

Hello! I think that's a great idea! I know I definitely have an easier time remembering song lyrics than paragraphs in a text book. Incorporating music in the classroom is a great way for children to have fun with what they learn. It can even be used to teach specific lessons, maybe about sound! Music is a great way to have fun and be creative with lessons. Use your talents!! Best of luck to you! 

Dana Cardona Dana Cardona 1265 Points

Music is great to incorporate in teaching science! Music can be used as a simple way to help kids with memory! For example, playing a song about the skeletal system or food chain can keep kids engaged while also helping the material stick in their heads. Also, incorporating music in lessons can truly help lessons flow better and smoother. Music in science will definitely bring about more fun in the learning environment.

Alida Anemone Alida Anemone 10 Points

Thank you for sharing, you should use music, I use a lot of different songs those are the ways I use music. 

Richard Lahti Richard Lahti 3100 Points

There are a couple different conversations going on here. 

1) is to use musical instruments to teach science concepts - like physics, waves, sound etc.  Great!  There is so much great mathematics and science in music - from transposing keys to the notes that sound good together (being multiples of the fundamental frequeny) to fractions, etc.

2) one is about singing songs/mnemonics, etc.

3) one seems to more about music as entertainment.

I would caution people about getting too excited about #2 and #3.  

2) Mnemonics teach low level memorization.  King Philip Came Over From Germany Swimming might help you remember the names of the 7 levels of classification, but not why this is important or the characteristics that place an organism in a particular group.  Even if the song is more elaborate, what do they remember?  I had a teacher use this one in a lesson he taught in science methods.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiHRI_Z2Kgs  I remember it used the song 'Black and Yellow' and that it was about geology, but I don't actually remember anything about the content it was supposedly trying to teach me.  I suspect you will often find the same – the learning is not actually there.

3) Finally, just using music in class.  Sure, but don't kid yourself that it is about learning.  Howard Gardner had an interesting quote on this, especially with regard to misguided people thinking they were engaging their students' “musical intelligence” by playing music in the background.  “In some classes, children are encouraged to read or to carry out math exercises while music is playing in the background. Now I myself like to work with music in the background. But unless I focus on the performance (in which case the composition is no longer serving as background), the music’s function is unlikely to be different from that of a dripping faucet or a humming fan.”  Reflections on Multiple Intelligences: Myths and Messages.  I recommend this book highly – Gardner is amazed by the crazy things his followers do in his name.

In the end, it is your choice to teach science using music ... but just make sure you are aware of the tradeoffs and keep an eye on what they are actually learning.  Are they learning higher order thinking - or memorizing?  Are they learning science, or music?  Is the focused time on task increased or decreased? 

Judy Xiong Judy Xiong 20 Points

Hi Everyone, 

I use Mr Parr songs on YouTube at the beginning and end of some of my lessons. The songs are catchy and full of content. My students love these songs!

Judy X

Avis Herron Avis Herron 30 Points

I really enjoy using music to allow my K-3 students to visualize concepts, activate previous knowledge and help build vocabulary. It has also worked as a great engagement tool before we dig deeper into a topic. Some of my favorites include: Flocabulary (especially heat, fossils and insects), Jack Hartmann or The Learning Station (some have ways to quickly assess while listening) and Have Fun Teaching (weather, butterfly, water cycle, etc.).

Abigail Wentz Abigail Wentz 470 Points

Hi there! I am a student teacher in a second-grade class and using music helps my students learn and retain the information that they are hearing. It is a great way for all types of learners to connect to the content and it is great to see my students use the songs and motions when they are working on independent work. 

Mallory McKenzie Mallory 285 Points

Hi Abigail, I think music is a great way to engage students with content they are learning (with any subject). It can be used as an instructional strategy to help students grasp a better understanding and to motivate students. Children love music and it can be helpful for them when it comes to learning new content or struggling with content. They will remeber the words to that song and it will become useful to their learning. 

Melissa Guevara Melissa Guevara 350 Points

Hello Jacquelyn, I believe using music when teaching science is a good way to engage students. This is because there are many songs that will help the students understand the lesson. 

Mitra Surik Mitra Surik 310 Points

We've found a website where you can order real comments from genuine users to amplify your content's reach. Genuine interactions buy youtube comments can make a significant difference in how your audience perceives your videos and can even boost your channel's visibility. Say goodbye to generic comments and hello to authentic engagement that drives real results!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers