Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Classroom strategies

Early Childhood

Classroom strategies

Author Post
Karina Pestana Karina Pestana 170 Points

What are some good teaching strategies that can be used in the classroom to get students more excited and involved? 

Hannah Brumley Hannah Brumley 2235 Points

Making sure the activity is meaningful to all students and that the students are familiar with it. For involvement, you can do hands-on, watch videos, have someone come in and talk about the topic. Having hands-on activities throughout the classroom gets students the opportunity to do it on there own and learn ways to do it. Watching videos shows students a perspective that they can't see every day. I think it's a great idea depending on what grade it's to have someone come in and bring objects or just talk about the lesson. It's better than reading out of a book or doing a PowerPoint every day.

Brooke Messinger Brooke Messinger 740 Points

There are many good teaching strategies that can be used in the classroom to get students more excited and engaged! Try starting the lesson with an interesting fact! This will wake the student brain because it may be a fact that they didn't know and then they can use it to impress adults at home! You could also exude enthusiasm and engagement. Enthusiasm is contagious and if you are showing lots of excitement as a teacher, students will then show excitement in their learning. Also, make connections that are meaningful and relevant to students lives. Ask them questions such as, 'Have you ever...?' or 'How would you feel if...?' these are great for students to make meaningful conversations. Lastly, make sure you address different learning syles and multiple intelligences. Every student has their own way of learning and their own strengths and weaknessess. If you use a wide variety of different activities for multiple learners you will be able to keep students actively engaged. 

Brooke Messinger Brooke Messinger 740 Points

There are many good teaching strategies that can be used in the classroom to get students more excited and engaged! Try starting the lesson with an interesting fact! This will wake the student brain because it may be a fact that they didn't know and then they can use it to impress adults at home! You could also exude enthusiasm and engagement. Enthusiasm is contagious and if you are showing lots of excitement as a teacher, students will then show excitement in their learning. Also, make connections that are meaningful and relevant to students lives. Ask them questions such as, 'Have you ever...?' or 'How would you feel if...?' these are great for students to make meaningful conversations. Lastly, make sure you address different learning syles and multiple intelligences. Every student has their own way of learning and their own strengths and weaknessess. If you use a wide variety of different activities for multiple learners you will be able to keep students actively engaged. 

Monica Saldana Monica Saldana 50 Points

I would say engaging the students and make them part of the activity would definitely make the feel more involved and excited. As, well as conducting fun activities throughout the curriculum.

Cassandra Bello Cassandra Bello 780 Points

I really like these teaching strategies starting the lesson with an interesting fact I am going to use this in my own classroom. I want my students to learn new things and remember them. I really like making connections that are meaningful and relevant to students life. I do believe the lesson will be remembered because we related to something important in their lives. I do believe being happy and excited helps students want to be excited and happy about the lesson as well.

Briza Luna Briza Luna 60 Points

I agree with a previous poster. Being hands-on will definitely get the excited and keep them engaged. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers