Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Debunking Misconceptions Using Unusual Resources

General Science and Teaching

Debunking Misconceptions Using Unusual Resources

Author Post
Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

I am sorry I am just now noticing your thread, Adah. I loved the article. It reminded me of when I had a student tell me I was wrong about the U.S. not having explored Mars firsthand yet. She said she had just seen the Movie, "Mission to Mars"! I agree with you that being discerning readers and being able to separate fact from fiction is definitely something to incorporate into our course content.

Bambi Bailey Bambi Bailey 9515 Points

There's a website, I believe it's called "Blick's Flicks" that uses physics to debunk many TV and movie errors. My favorite is in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. A plane is going down so Dr. Jones inflates a life raft, three people board and ride out of the airplane through the atmosphere, land smoothly on a snow covered mountain, glide down the mountain with no mishap, and finally slide into the water of a river. All this while still having all persons and their packs on board. There is also a column, in The Science Teacher periodically that discusses the same kinds of phenomena.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers