Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Robotics Kits and Advice, please...

Elementary Science

Robotics Kits and Advice, please...

Author Post
Kathryn Clingan Kathryn Clingan 425 Points

I am interested in purchasing some robotics kits for use in my elementary (K-5) school's new STEM program...I would appreciate any thoughts, reviews, advice anyone could provide on the topic.  Thanks!!

Elizabeth David Elizabeth David 1430 Points

I teach science & engineering to grades 3, 4, and 5.  We use Vex IQ basic robotic kits in 5th grade.  Work great, super customer support if problems, lots of options for differentiating if you have students who are more experienced with robotics from after school clubs, etc.

Elizabeth David Elizabeth David 1430 Points

I teach science & engineering to grades 3, 4, and 5.  We use Vex IQ basic robotic kits in 5th grade.  Work great, super customer support if problems, lots of options for differentiating if you have students who are more experienced with robotics from after school clubs, etc.

Jaida Bennett Jaida Bennett 3730 Points

I think that robotics is a great way to involve your students in hands-on science. I'm glad that you are taking on that responsibility and providing them with such an awesome experience. I, personally, cannot help you with advice on what type of robotics kit to purchase, however, I just wanted to let you know that you seem like a great teacher! Have fun with your endeavors! :)

Yolanda Garza Yolanda Garza 855 Points

Hello I am a college student in developing teaching and wanted to tell you how great it is that you are taking this on! I have a eight year old son who is in robotics at his school and loves it so much. I asked him which set they use and he said it is called Mindstorms by Lego. He is in a group of 4 and there are about 20 kids total. The science teacher is in charge of the robotics club and they build them, name them, and then program them to do various movements. He always comes home talking about how much he loves it and how he wants to be an engineer when he grows up because he loves science and building so much. Thank you for what you're taking on!

Jennifer McMullen Jennifer McMullen 660 Points

I think that it is a fantastic idea to get involved with robotics in elementary schools because children are interested in this topic. Our society is full or technology that it would be easy for young students to relate to and keep their interest.  I think that that there could be a lot of activities with robotics and the students would surprise you with what they know. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers