Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Tips for engagement

Early Childhood

Tips for engagement

Author Post
Carolina Rios Carolina Rios 240 Points

What are some tips that can allow for students to engage in a science lesson?

Ashley GIbson Ashley GIbson 775 Points

Hi Carolina,

I think a great way to engage students in a science lesson is by making them feel like real scientists. I think that if you give them real data, observational activities, and cool science tools, the students would see exactly how fun science can be. Also I recommend getting student feedback about what they would like to research or observe, or create your own science projects that have real-world applications. Hope this helped!

Sincerely,

Ashley Gibson

Brielle Davis Brielle Davis 480 Points

Some tips that can allow for students to engage in a science lesson are applying activities to real-life scenarios. This will make all areas of learning meaningful and provides a context to apply prior knowledge. When students can understand how and what they’re learning in class can be used in the real world, they’re much more engaged.

Ashalenia Graham Ashalenia Graham 985 Points

Personally, I think one of the best ways to allow students to be engaged and stay engaged in a science lesson is by giving them opportunities to become naturally curious of a particular topic that aligns with your standards and allowing them chances to come to their own conclusions about said topic.  Approaching science in an inquiry-based setting allows students to become fully engaged because they are the ones who chose the topic, do the research, take responsibility, and come to their own conclusions.  It is much more engaging and meaningful for students this way. 

Lauren Donaldson Lauren Donaldson 625 Points

One tip that can allow students to engage in a science lesson is to also incorporate literature. You can use trade books to help teach students about science concepts such as weather, rocks, soil, habitats etc. Students will be engaged during the reading of the book if you ask questions throughout the book that help students not only understand the concept you are teaching at a deeper level, but also keeps students engaged. Students also love books that include real life connections and real-life pictures on science concepts because pictures help them understand abstract concepts like energy or matter. 

Samantha Chinique Samantha Chinique 485 Points

I think this is an amazing tip Lauren. Thank you. I would definitly use it. I tihnk it is a great to incorporate not only science but reading at the same time. So, you would basically be killing two birds with one stone.

Matti Cridge Matti Cridge 340 Points

One tip for getting students to be engaged in a science lesson is to give the students the opportunity to explore science independently. Instead of giving them all of the answers in a lecture, allow the students to conduct their own experiments and collect their own data. This will allow the students to come to their own conclusions about science and will inspire their curiousity about the topic. Through their exploration of science, they will ask questions that will guide your instruction. This will help the lesson to meet the needs of the students while they learn about what they are interested in. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers