Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Attention Grabbers

Early Childhood

Attention Grabbers

Author Post
Sydney Arenas Sydney Arenas 320 Points

How can I keep my child's interest when teaching them a concept at home? There's so many items around that easily distract them, and then the fact, we are at home, they don't feel the need to pay attention. What are some good ideas at keepin their attention on the material rather than the distractions from the house?

Yannely Aguinaga Yannely Aguinaga 175 Points

Hello Sydney! I am not a mother myself, but I have 2 nephews ages 5 and 6, and have seen my sister struggle tremendously when teaching them from home. One thing I adviced her to do was to be patient with them as they are also adjusting to this new learning style, and as you mentioned, there are so many things around them that can be distracting. Another thing I suggested was that she became engaged in the lectures being taught to them to know what is going on and try to make it fun for them. For example, when the teacher is explaining something they seem to have trouble understandning, she now tries to make up a song by clapping and using repetitive key words from the lecture, this helps them memorize important terminology and make connections in an engaging way. Hope this helps! 

Hello Sydney! Ever since online elarning has dominated our reality, more educational resources have been discovered! Last semester during my EDCI-3331 course, Professor Diaconu showed us a unique website to keep students engaged and active before or after a lesson. The website provides different topics from math, reading, physical education, and even anxiety! The video clips consist of catchy songs, easy dance moves, and so much more! It's important to keep our students engaged, so why not do it in a fun and educational way? Here is the link for GoNoodle: www.gonoodle.com

Kristin Preast Kristin Preast 1670 Points

I would offer some kind of reward if they focus for a certain amount of time. I would take away any distractions if possible and help them focus.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers