Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Field Trips

Elementary Science

Field Trips

Author Post
Alexis Shelley Alexis Shelley 180 Points

Hello,

My name is Alexis Shelley and I am a preservice teacher at the University of Arkansas.  I am looking for advise on what makes a good science based field trip.  What was the best science based field trip you have ever taken students on?  What does the planning process look like?

Thank you!

Richard Varner Richard Varner 955 Points

Hi Alexis, I have been a science teacher and administrator for most of my career, but after serving in the Education office at NASA's GSFC, I am now the director of the Scobee Education Center at San Antonio College. This unique background has made several factors crystal clear for me regarding field trips. #1 on the list is the need to meet the standards that you are planning to achieve for your students. Gone are the Field Day trips that are only scheduled to have fun. The trip should be fun, but with intent for learning outcomes. #2 the trip should be a part of something larger than the trip. An interdisciplinary unit with a grand culminating event that includes the trip. This makes the trip an application of the classroom learning. The Challenger Learning Center program we run is an example of this. I have seen special education teachers schedule a trip to the shopping center with parents and teacher aides specifically supporting social skills, making purchases and basic math skills for a shopping trip. This was one of the best "field trips" that I was connected with, because the results were substantial for parents and children alike. #3 Always ensure that the logistics are manageable for you and those in support. This is both a safety and student management issue. Best wishes on your search. Regards, Rick Varner San Antonio College

Stephanie Gomez Stephanie Gomez 390 Points

My best science based field trip included:

reading a novel -- my class read Island of the Blue Dolphin by Scott O'Dell

researching the animals mentioned in the novel and other animals that live on an island or beach (habitate, diet, features, etc.)

a fieldtrip to the beach to view tidepools

an assessment that was a diorama, poster or travel phamphlet to that island

I teach special ed.  This lesson went over very well.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers