Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Activities that students can do with their families?

Early Childhood

Activities that students can do with their families?

Author Post
Alyssa Soto Alyssa Soto 255 Points

Hi there, 

I am currently searching for any activities or experiments that my 2nd-grade students can take home and have their families be engaged in, in order to promote learning in and outside of the classroom. I also want these activities to serve as a bonding experience, whether it be with parents, siblings, guardians, or even the neighbors, I would like for my students to create memories while learning. 

Janie Bohannon Janie Bohannon 135 Points

Hi Alyssa, that is great you want to give your students some fun science bonding at home! A memory I still have from elementary school that I did at home as well was making "oobleck". This is super easy and fun! All you need is two cups cornstarch, one cup water, and the optional food coloring and you have an interesting substance that can act like a solid or a liquid and changes with pressure! There is also a Dr. Suess book about oobleck you can pair with this. 

Evelin Quiroz Evelin Quiroz 290 Points

Hey Alyssa,

I think the mentos and coke activity would be a fun yet educational activity! This will teach the students about the change of state of matter and how the carbon dioxide dissolved in the coke then moves to a gaseous state. Hope this helps!

Holly George Holly George 225 Points

Hi Alyssa! 

I think any topic related to family genes would be a great activity for students to collaborate with their family members. This could be observing each other's physical traits or even making small Punnett Squares. 

Hailey Black Hailey Black 240 Points

Hi Alyssa!

I remember in elementary school I had an assignment where I made a volcano with my parents! Another really fun one was a 3D map using clay and paint. We did the latter activity when we were learning about geography and different terrains.

Jessica Back Jessica Back 230 Points

Hi Alyssa! When I was younger my teacher got our class a Butterfly Growing Kit and everyone loved it! The kit allows you to create a home for caterpillars to grow into butterflies and its a great experience for inside school and with family:)!

Yaritza Garza Yaritza Garza 140 Points

Hello Alyssa it is amazing that you want to encourage parents in your classroom activities. A great activity that students and parents can work on is the "Water Cycle". This activity will create good communication and connection between parents and students. 

Yaritza Garza Yaritza Garza 140 Points

Hello Alyssa it is amazing that you want to encourage parents in your classroom activities. A great activity that students and parents can work on is the "Water Cycle". This activity will create good communication and connection between parents and students. 

Kaitlyn Boyle Kaitlyn Boyle 165 Points

Hi Alyssa, 

I think that even making homemade slime is something fun for parents to do with their children. You can get really creative with it and add different colors and glitter! 

Paul Vigerter Paul Vigerter 40 Points

I read all your ideas. Listen to this cool !! I'll take something for myself. Some are really cool and amazed me!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers