Forums

Forums / Physical Science / How many students in your science class?

Physical Science

How many students in your science class?

Author Post
Anne Jolly Anne Jolly 340 Points

How many students are in your middle school science classes, on an average. When I was teaching the recommended number was 20 - 25, although my classes always exceeded that number by quite a margin. I'm gathering this information as input for a STEM program design. Thanks!

Euvelyn Calma Euvelyn Calma 495 Points

There is only one regular education science teacher for each grade level at our school and therefore, the number of students typically exceed the 20-25 number. We also have inclusion settings which means that we also cater to students with special needs along with our regular ed. students. My inclusion classes average 30-40 students and my regular classes average 25 students. Throughout the year, the number lessens a bit. I feel that the huge amount of students and an inconsistent amount in each class requires the teacher to adjust the lesson or labs to complement each class. I also found out that strategizing seating arrangements and inidividual tasks helps with classroom management.

Bill Kuhl Bill Kuhl 2190 Points

Most people just do not appreciate enough the work that teachers are doing. In my summer workshop project class it is limited to 12 students and that seems overwhelming at times.

Laurie Johnson Laurie Johnson 2045 Points

I have 6 sections : 30 31 29 28 23 32 good luck!

Laurie Johnson Laurie Johnson 2045 Points

I have 6 sections : 30 31 29 28 23 32 good luck!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers