Forums

Forums / Chemistry / New Teacher

Chemistry

New Teacher

Author Post
Aylin Quintanilla Aylin Quintanilla 215 Points

Hello! What activities and tips do you have for a first-time teacher with no experience?

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

I think this article from the Chronicle is a great read. 

This Point of View from the NSTA's Journal of College Science Teaching is inspiring, as well. 

If there is not a formal mentoring program set up, ask the Principal (or your supervisor) who a good person to approach might be. 

Bradley Clark Bradley Clark 190 Points

Emily,

That article was very helpful. I am definetly going to try some of those at the beginning of next school year.

Rachel Frey Rachel Frey 463 Points

I would first suggest becoming familiar with the state standards and the curriculum the school uses.  Then, use those resources to create your own lessons that correspond to the standards.  Then, I would come up with a daily schedule so you know exactly when you will implement those lessons and can have the materials needed ready beforehand.

Ryan Slusser Ryan Slusser 1720 Points

I definitely agree that looking at the standards or any required curriculum is a great way to begin. Being prepared and knowing what is required is necessary for any subject. Once you know the standards, finding activities is the easy part. You can find a lot of great lessons on NSTA that also align with the NGSS 5E/3D model. 

Andrew Heller Andrew Heller 40 Points

Hi Ryan,

I am also a new teacher.  You say 'finding activities is the easy part'.  Could you please give me some examples of this?  I am finding the admonition that I am just supposed to use the internet to do lesson planning a little discouraging. Do you have a list of good sources of lesson planning?

Luke Smith Luke Smith 955 Points

I will be an upcoming teacher in the future and I feel these tips and suggestions are very useful, thanks!

Christopher Like Christopher Like 340 Points

I usually think about starting with a phenomena that I think the students would find interesting, then work from there. For example, instead of teaching about the digestive system in biology, make a unit on diarrhea- students find that a lot more interesting. In chemistry there are a lot of cool demos or authentic reactions that you can work from (think soap, grain bin explosions, etc)  There are also a lot of great websites that list cool phenomena as either achoring or lesson-level phenomena. 

Develop some driving questions to set your trajectory and then simply set up environments/activities where students make sense of those phenomena and figure things out.  There are some good examples of units out there. NGSS Storylines has one here

Veronica Cruz Veronica Cruz 340 Points

I will be a new teacher hopefully by next year! Thank you for the responses and I'm looking forward on doing more research on this topic 

Lindsey Barsoum Lindsey Barsoum 490 Points

Become familiar with the standars and scope and sequence of your state/district. Search the topic and put your own spin on the teaching style. get to know your kids..i hav tauht in two districts and they way i teach some things is different based on the kids.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers