Forums

Forums / Pre-service Teachers / Advice for creating trust between parents and teachers

Pre-service Teachers

Advice for creating trust between parents and teachers

Author Post
Ashley Rivera Ashley Rivera 800 Points

Hello!

My name is Ashley Rivera and I am an Elementary ESL Education major at UTRGV in Edinburg, Texas. As I continue to learn about the responsibilities the teaching career entails, one particular aspect stays at the top of my concerns. Parent involvement is an important part of student success, therefore I am seeking advice as to how to create a professional, trusting relationship with the parents of my future students. I understand that communication is a pivotal part of forming that relationship, but how can I ensure that every parent is provided information about their child's well-being and academic progress, moreover, build trust between the parent and the teacher?

Thank you!

Savana Rosson Savana Rosson 650 Points

Hi Ashley! I am currently in my junior year of college working towards my bachelors in elementary education. I agree with what you said about parent involvement, and how important it is to a student's success. I was very fortunate to have very involved parents all throughout school, but I do know that some children do not have that. One way that I plan on implementing parent involvement is to send home weekly newsletters which will include what is coming up this week, what the students will have due this week, standards that we will be covering, as well as school calendar things. Through this, it will give the parents an idea of what is happening in their child's classroom. I also plan on sending out weekly emails to the parents of my students because students may lose, or forget these items. I also will be taking advantage of parent-teacher conferences, and open house, because these would be a great time to get to know the parents of your students better!

Emily Bradley Emily Bradley 335 Points

Hi Ashley! I am also working towards an education/special education major and am an upperclassman almost ready to graduate! Something I have always learned about is building trust between the teacher and the parent. One important way to build relationships with parents is by consistent communication. If you are flakey with posting notes, sending home work, or recognizing accomplishments/things to work on, parents are going to get frustrated. Now, with our modern technology, teachers are able to communicate a lot easier using apps for reminders, websites, or email. This will help build trust because you are keeping in contact with the parent. Another idea is ensuring that you show them that you care about their child and their success in the classroom. If the student needs extra work done at home or extra support in the classroom, or even at any sign of falling behind, it is important to mention it to the parent. It is their child after all and they don't want to hear about issues with their child's work method after it's already been going on for a year. It is going to be a challenge and a lot of trial and error but remember that you are trying your best and you have the student's best interest in mind!

Elyse Juarez Elyse Juarez 725 Points

Hi Ashley, I am also an Elementary Education major with an ESL endorsement! I am a third-year at Wartburg College, and although I am not fully a teacher yet, I think I can provide some tips on forming those teacher-parent relationships. Usually, schools do Unpack Your Backpack Night, and this is a great time to give a good picture of yourself! When parents arrive for that, always introduce yourself first! You want to show that you are approachable & can connect with students. Another good idea is to create meetings/conferences with parents on a daily basis. Parents always want to know how their student is doing, so it is your job to keep in contact! I hope these ideas are useful!

Abigail Chapel Abigail Chapel 2505 Points

Hello, Ashley!

This is a great question. As a first year, first grade teacher, I can agree with you that communcation is a pivotal part of student-teacher-parent relationships. A few things I would consider for you to use for communcation include weekly newsletters. Create a document (paper or virtual) that provides what students will work on for the week and how parents can help. You can include important dates and oppertunities for parents to visit the classroom if you need extra hands. I would also consider something like SeeSaw or Class Dojo. Both of these resources can help parents see what you are doing in the classroom. Additionally, provide oppertunities for parents to set of meetings with you to discuss student progress or concerns. This can be in-person or over the phone. These things have worked for me my first year!

Taylor Tittermary Taylor Tittermary 1470 Points

Hello Ashley! I am currently pursing my Masters Arts In Education as I already have a bachleors in biology. That being said I have been in the classroom for going on my 4th year as an educational assistant. Now typically EA's don't have much parent contact at all, but in my case it is a little different where I am a one on one with a student. It does pose some difficulties at times but I've come to find that including the parent with what their child or children are doing is so important. I tend to send home overviews of what my student will be learning that week and if the parent has questions then they are more than welcome to ask. This really seemed to help promote communication between not only myself and the parent but with the student as well. I really hope this gives you some kind of insight and help in your next steps to having that positive relationship with not only your students but their parents as well. 

Omega Vasquez Omega Vasquez 2000 Points

Hi Ashley! I remember being scared of talking to my student's parents because it would seem like they are staring hard down at me, but honestly, all they want to know is how their child is academically. One way you can build trust with them is to have good communication with them and to always be yourself. Sometimes it can be a bit hard to talk to parents, especially the ones who seem a bit more serious and dull, but don't ever be afraid. Always keep in mind that you are helping the child learn. :) 

Brittany Rios Brittany Rios 550 Points

Hello Ashley, Parent involvement is key. I feel like building parents' trust and creating a relationship with the parents may be a struggle for pre-service teachers who are starting their careers. Be yourself and build a circle of work ethic with your colleagues they will surely help with tips and strategies to building relationships with parents and entailing great communication skills. Furthermore, there are great apps that the school provides where you can stay in contact with parents.

Abbey McLean Abbey McLean 490 Points

Hi! My name is Abbey McLean, and I am a preservice teacher. As I have gained classroom experience in my clinicals, I have seen my CT's maintain communication with parents in quite a few ways. First, they send home a weekly newsletter with each student. This letter includes information like homework and upcoming tests, school events happening that week, and any other important information parents need to know, like permission forms that are due the following week. I think this is a really good way to keep parents informed, and it provides them with a good overview of the weeks events. I have also had CT's who send out a weekly email that contains similar information. This way, the information does not get lost in the bottom of a student's bookbag. Another huge thing that I have learned at PD events is to send a positive email or phone call to each parent in your class during the first few weeks of school. This can be about anything positive that a student does, even something small. What it does do is show the parents that you see the good in their child, so if you need to call and discuss a behavior later, they will remember that you called early in the year about something positive, so the relationship will already be established. I love this advice, and I will use it in my future classroom. I hope you find these two suggestions helpful, and I wish you the best in the future. 

Seth Brashears Seth Brashears 805 Points

Hello, Abigail! 

I think that you bring up good points about creating trust between parents and the teachers. I am not a teacher yet but the ideas you posted on here are really good in having trust between the parents and the teachers. I really like the fact that you do a newsletter which helps the parents understand what their child is learning in the classroom. Parent teacher conferences I think would be a big help with both parents and teachers understanding the goals of what the student is learning and what the parent can do to help out if needed. These ideas seem like they really work well and help the class be better. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers