Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Guiding Older kids to teach younger kids

Elementary Science

Guiding Older kids to teach younger kids

Author Post
Jodie Green Jodie Green 240 Points

Hi, Older kids teach younger kids (and vica versa) - This is an activity I prompt older kids to do in each science unit at some point. I'd like to be able to do it more - and with more 'authority' wrt science department- so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good book or article on the topic. JodieG Canberra

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

Hi jodie,

I am not aware f any research that has been done on this topic. I will be on the lookout for you. :-)

I think using older students to teach younger students can be a great idea for both groups. No one knows better than us teachers, sharing our understanding is a great way to deepen our own learning. Younger students look up to older students so the will be very interersted in learning from them.

I think your idea is a great strategy to use if it is not overused. It can be one of the many instructional tools and strategies we use to help our students learn science.

What age are your groups?

What concepts were the students learning? I bet their our certain concepts that lend themselves to this strategy. Older students could present their science learning to younger students by setting up a learning experience for the younger students. The younger students might do an activity and write an explanation to a question like '•How does the type of surface effect how far a ball will roll?'

thanks for sharing

Kathy

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Jodie,

I'm putting together a program where Boy Scouts will teach Cub Scouts about STEM topics, so I've recently been looking into this, too. Here are several resources that I found. Hopefully they will help you out!

Examples of Students as Classroom Teachers
Teenagers as Teachers Programs
Older Students Teaching Younger
Pairing Younger and Older Students
Using Peer-to-Peer teaching to engage students
Students Learn by Teaching

As I find more resources, I'll be sure to post them here!

Maureen

Jodie Green Jodie Green 240 Points

Thankyou Kathy and Maureen It's great to feel more on the way with this! I will also post what I find here too. cheers Jodie

Molina Walters Molina Walters 1215 Points

Hello Jodie, I have an article coming out this summer in Science and Children describing an activity where we had 5th and 6th grade students become experts in some hands-on science activities. We then took 3rd graders on a field trip to the Riparian and the 5th/6th grade student took small groups of 3rd graders to different stations and they helped teach the content. It was a wonderful experience for all the kids and adults involved.

Kristi Goeke Kristi Goeke 90 Points

Hey there, I work at a K-8 school and we have some great opportunities to have older children work with younger children. One year my second graders went to the eighth grade science class and watched the eighth graders demonstrate, explain, and teach students about various science lessons. In addition, the second graders studied and did simple experiments on simple machines. They then went to the fifth grade science classes where they built simple machines. The 5th graders set up the machines and the 2nd graders walked from machine to machine. The 5th graders had to explain their machine and teach the 2nd graders. The 2nd graders drew pictures and labeled the pictures. It was a rewarding day for both classes. Our 8th grade science teacher requires a scientist of the month reporter project. Not realizing it my 2nd graders were reading informative text about the same scientist the 8th graders were studying. I spoke with the 8th grade teacher and some of his students came to the 2nd grade class and they quizzed each other on the scientist and the 8th graders presented their reports. If there is a will there is a way. Anytime I can work with the older classes to integrate lessons I would take advantage of the opportunity. The younger students really look up to the older students and the older students are always amazed when the yonder students teach them.

Micki Bowman Micki Bowman 1020 Points

I think that that is such a great idea. I know that I myself find it amazing how much we as teachers can learn from our students, imagine what they can teach their fellow students! I also firmly believe by teaching the concepts to the younger students they will obtain a firmer grasp on the concepts themselves. I think that it is wonderful that you have incorporated this into your curriculum! Let me know if you find out about any more resources or information about this concept! I hope that it continues to work for you!

Micki Bowman Micki Bowman 1020 Points

I think that that is such a great idea. I know that I myself find it amazing how much we as teachers can learn from our students, imagine what they can teach their fellow students! I also firmly believe by teaching the concepts to the younger students they will obtain a firmer grasp on the concepts themselves. I think that it is wonderful that you have incorporated this into your curriculum! Let me know if you find out about any more resources or information about this concept! I hope that it continues to work for you!

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Molina and Kristi, Thanks for sharing your older students teaching younger student experiences. It's great to hear that this was an effective and positive experience for both of you! When you paired older students with younger students, did you give the older kids talking points or coach them in advance, or did you just let them go with their knowledge? Also, did you identify any potential pitfalls through your experiences? Thanks so much! Maureen

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers