Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Fun Science Activities

Elementary Science

Fun Science Activities

Author Post
Hillary Banda Hillary Banda 500 Points

Hello everyone, incoming teacher who wants to bring fun into science! (: What are some great/fun activities or mini experiements that can be done during science time? 

Alex Holden Alex Holden 620 Points

Hi Hillary! I am an Elementary Education major with endorsements in reading and early childhood at Wartburg College. For my chemistry class, we were instructed to create a lesson that taught students about chemical reactions, so I created an experiment for the students to learn about reactions with elephant toothpaste! I've included a presentation that I created showing a visual representation of the materials I used for the lesson, the lesson plan itself, and the sources that I used to create the lesson. I hope this helps!

Attachments

Janellie Ramirez Janellie Ramirez 500 Points

Hello Hillary, some fun activities and experiments that elementary students can do during science class are to make a volcano , make a tornado in a jar, create a rain cloud in a jar, and make a lava lamp. These activities will make the students enjoy going to science class and doing experiments can be used to introduce new ideas and provide children with opportunities to develop and practice many different skills. 

Jovana Robles Jovana Robles 600 Points

Hello Hillary! I'm a junior in college and this question has been on my mind lately. I did some research and found this nice activity that I think students would enjoy when learning about air pressure: 'The air pressure game' - 'This science experiment doubles as a fun game, recommended by Kids Activity Blog. Place two kitchen sponges inside of a plastic zip-top bag and position a drinking straw in between the sponges. Put one side inside of the bag and one side poking out of the open part of the bag. Seal up the bag and blow it up. By squeezing on the bag to blow a cotton ball or pom pom ball around' 

Katie Steene Katie Steene 20 Points

Hi Hillary,

I'm an Elementary Education student as well. One of the lessons that I've done with students that they enjoyed is an oil spill lesson and simulation. I began by just talking to the students to see what they knew about the subject. I then split the students up into groups and each group did an oil spill simulation. I had the students add oil to a tray of water that had 'land' and plastic animals. The students had to then use different techniques to attempt to remove the oil from the container. They learned that wasn't a very easy task. After cleaning up we were all able to have an in-depth conversation about the impact oil spills have on the planet and the environment. If you're interested in recreating the activity I attached the materials I used for the lesson.

I hope you have a great school year!

Katie

Attachments

Aleeya Cheney Aleeya Cheney 610 Points

Hi Hillary! I am an Elementary Education major at Wartburg College. One of the STEAM lessons I have done in class discusses heredity and traits in animals. Each student will build a calf out of clay at the end of the lesson, depending on what traits the mom and dad have. This particular lesson is for a third grade classroom but I also used this lesson for 6th graders for a STEAM conference at Wartburg College. It includes students getting into groups, using quarters to determine their cow's offspring, and creating a new calf that includes those inherited traits from their parents.

Attachments

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers