Forums

Forums / Chemistry / Planet Protection Chemistry Labs?

Chemistry

Planet Protection Chemistry Labs?

Author Post
Kyle Yost Kyle Yost 50 Points

I am a new chemistry teacher, and have an end of the year project that I need some help with. I have 3 weeks at the end of the year to complete a capstone project that focuses on protecting the planet. Does anyone have any suggestions/lesson plans on labs that deal with protecting the environment or pollution? I want to have my 3 weeks be very lab intensive, but the only thing I have right now that relates to this is purifying and testing water. Any suggestions would be great, and my student's need all the support you can give! Your input would be much appreciated! Thanks, Kyle Yost

BRYAN SMITH Bryan Smith 310 Points

Kyle, would you be interested in measuring the CO2 concentration in the air? I’ve worked up a gravimetric method that traps the CO2 in diluted sodium hydroxide, then precipitate with barium chloride. In addition to the chemicals, the only at all unusual equipment is a small air pump (like you’d find in a small fish tank) per group. Rolling this lab into a conversation/seminar on global energy systems (reading attached) have been effective and motivating for my students. Let me know if you’d like to hear more. Best, Bryan I am a new chemistry teacher, and have an end of the year project that I need some help with. I have 3 weeks at the end of the year to complete a capstone project that focuses on protecting the planet. Does anyone have any suggestions/lesson plans on labs that deal with protecting the environment or pollution? I want to have my 3 weeks be very lab intensive, but the only thing I have right now that relates to this is purifying and testing water. Any suggestions would be great, and my student's need all the support you can give! Your input would be much appreciated! Thanks, Kyle Yost

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

What about plastic? We are close to Easter and people buy too many plastic eggs, plastic grass, the plastic wrappings for the candy and goodies, the baskets, etc. Give them a challenge, after seeing the video, how can we cut down on plastics? There is someone in Florida who created biodegradable, edible six pack rings that won't endanger marine life. Can your students create a PSA about the dangers of plastics? There is a company that sells fabric coated in bees wax that you can re-use to store food and pack lunches. I've even done a lesson where students all bring their lunches. We eat outside, then when they finish their lunch, they have three piles to put their waste in. I have three big cards, recyclable, biodegradable, or waste. It is very impactful when they see how much waste one or two classes can generate from one lunch. Then the debate begins about how to handle the issue. www.arkive.org Human Impacts on the Environment. Free powerpoint. I hope I'm not too late with the information.

Meri Cummings Meri Cummings 1155 Points

It'd be great if you'd be willing to share your lesson on the NSTA Forum, Pamela. What a wonderful idea! Meri

Kyle Yost Kyle Yost 50 Points

Hey Bryan, This sounds like an awesome lab that would be very relevant and also with hands on experience. I would love to know more so I can incorporate this into my project. These are exactly the types of labs I want to comduct, so anything similar to this would be excellent as well! Thank you so much for reaching out about this, and I can't wait to hear more!

Kusmu Michael Kusmu Michael 30 Points

Thanks for sharing it, Great Post!!!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers