Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Earth's Changing Surface

Earth and Space Science

Earth's Changing Surface

Author Post
Zamarria Brake Zamarria Brake 3205 Points

I recently came across an experiment that I feel would be an effective introduction activity on the processes that cause changes on Earth's surface. This experiement was a part of a book chapter, Rocks and Soil, from Bringing Outdoor Science In by Steve Rich. This text included many easy and interactive experiments. In this experiment, students will disprove any misconceptions they may have in regards to our steadily changing planet. The only materials necessary are: plastic containers, soil, card stock paper, scissors, toy cars, to buildings, twigs, and a worksheet that is found in the text. All of these materials are cheap and easily accessible if they are not already available in the classroom. This experiment is a great visual representation for lower elementary grade levels. It makes it easier for students to be able to later apply new material to the concepts that they experienced during the experiment. The attached worksheet would act as an assessment for students. 

Attachments

Rocks and Soils (Book Chapter)

Michelle Franko Michelle Franko 9920 Points

Thank you for sharing this. I will be sure to read that chapter. I am excited that you mentioned that the lesson is hands-on and budget friendly. I have started a collection of other Earth Science lessons and ideas for teaching elementary students. I have attached my current collection and I hope to add more to it this summer. I hope I can help you find some additional ideas as well.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers