Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Fisrt Day

New Teachers

Fisrt Day

Author Post
Heydi Gonzalez Heydi Gonzalez 790 Points

As a new teacher, what can I expect for the first day of school? Should I worry if something does not go as planned? 

Monique Villarreal Monique Villarreal 690 Points

Hello Heydi! As a new teacher, you are going to experience many emotions, and have so many questions. Personally, when the first day of school, or the first day back from winter or spring break comes around, the way that I planned the day to go does not even happen. Usually the students are trying to get back to routine, and are going to have their little moments where you just want to rip your hair out since they were so used to being at home doing whatever it is that they wanted to do. I would just recommend to have your day planned out, but do NOT rely on it. Just have it as something that you could go back as a reference and tie the students back on track. If something does happen to not go as planned, just be sure that you do not stress and worry. It is only the first day back, you and the students will develop a routine, and everything will turn out smoothly during the rest of the semester. They can smell fear and unsureness, so just play it cool, have fun, and learn with them! 

Liliana Mascorro Liliana Mascorro 900 Points

As new teacher anything could go wrong specially through out the first year but its important to reflect on thing that you could improve on. We will be learning something new about our profession ever day that will make us better teachers. Also learning and working together with your colleagues will make the learning process easier. 

Diana Cuellar Diana Cuellar 790 Points

For the first day of school you can pretty much expect student and teacher introductions where everyone gets to know each other. There are many fun activities to do the first day or first week of school for example you can have your classroom come up with their own rules and procedures to follow. As a new teacher you can always count with support of other teachers and faculty to help you along when needed. Don't worry, you got this!

Laisha Moreno Laisha Moreno 830 Points

I think that as a new teacher, it will be normal to be nervous, but our students will be too, so I think we should relax a bit so that our students do too. I feel that the first day should be fun to 'break the ice'' with our students and feel that during the school year, they can trust us to ask us future questions or express their concerns with us and be able to help them. On the first day, you can work on having students introduce themselves in front of the class and we can learn more about them such as fun facts or their likes and preferences. As well as, that they have the freedom to propose the rules of the classroom and the procedures that they will do every day so that everyone agrees on what their obligations will be. Finally, introduce each subject or matter that they will see during the school year or semester but in a brief way so that they do not feel pressured as we have felt. If something happens that you did not have foreseen, I think the best decision is to consult with the other teachers around you so that they support you or advise you since they have more experience and thus we, as new teachers, can learn from them. Mainly, we shouldn't feel bad as we still have a lot to learn in practice.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers