Forums

Forums / Life Science / Genetic Mutations

Life Science

Genetic Mutations

Author Post
Michelle Amorin Michelle Amorin 310 Points

Hi, I'm teaching genetic mutations later on in the quarter. I've found that this topic is difficult for my students to grasp. Does anyone have any resources or worksheets that they could share that would help my students learn the material? Anything is appreciated.

Nicole Weber Nicole Lofgren 2880 Points

this may seem really trivial but I type a sentence and project it on the board. Then I delete one letter and ask how it affects the whole sentence or add one letter. then i just replace a letter and ask how it affects every word in the sentence and ask them if they can still interpret what the sentence means. They seem to really get frameshift/point after this really simple demonstration.

Vinod Kamalam Surendran Vinod Surendran 30 Points

Hi Nicole Yours is not a trivial idea. In fact I see that as one of the best ways of introducing the concept. I try to make a funny statement so that any deletion or addition makes some funny new meaning(s)

Neville Beckford Neville Beckford 2155 Points

Very innovative, just this evening I explained the whole concept of mutation to a student for about the third time. i will certainly be using this idea tomorrow.

Very innovative, just this evening I explained the whole concept of mutation to a student for about the third time. i will certainly be using this idea tomorrow.

Emily Keeter Emily Keeter 2530 Points

Not trivial at all! My middle schoolers understood mutations better after I tried this.

Michaela Aiello Michaela Aiello 330 Points

This is a simple, but great idea. I can see how students started to understand frameshift/point after this simple task. If I ever get to teach about genetics, I will definitely use this technique. Thanks for sharing!

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

I love your idea, Nicole. I have a couple of suggestions, Michelle.
Learning Genetics with Paper Pets is an excellent lesson resource.
Also, there is another discussion thread that you may find useful called Genetics activity. I hope this helps.
Carolyn

Katherine Willet Katherine Zimmerman 21340 Points

I created a lab for my students a few years ago, and I am going to adapt it this year to include more about mutations. I started by having the students compare five karyotypes from different animals (cat, dog, fruit fly, monkey, and fish). The students had to analyze the karyotypes and figure out how and why they were different. This year I am going to extend it to a variety of human karyotypes and use that as a way to introduce mutations and some of the causes. I don't have it adapted yet, but when I do I will post the lab on here.

Guillermo Alleyne Guillermo Alleyne 865 Points

Hi, here are copies of some of activities that I use during Genetic Engeenering.

Kelly Amendola Kelly Amendola 10320 Points

Nicole, that sounds like an awesome idea, that would have worked perfectly for my lesson last week!

Douglas DeGennaro Douglas DeGennaro 160 Points

This idea may be labor intensive but I think it would work. What if you developed a DNA sequence which decodes for scale color. Have the students decode this DNA sequence which will have a corresponding color pattern. The students could color the fish to match the decoded DNA sequence. Then provide the students with a mutation to a portion of the DNA. This would result in some new effect on the scale color pattern. Students would immediately see the impact of a mutation. This could lead to a discussion about mutations that a larger impact on the individual. Just an idea. Doug

Lachelle Crowe Lachelle Crowe 240 Points

Hi Michelle, please send your email address, I would love to email you some resources I use once I get to work on Monday!!!

Larosa Etienne larosa etienne 1220 Points

I wasn't taught any of this in middle or high school, so it's col thst you want to do that lesson.

Jessica Luera Jessica Luera 1945 Points

So I think demonstrating flowers would be a great way of showing this. Some flowers have genetic mutations known as hybrids due to the flowers that grow next to them or in the area which can be seen in the color of the petals. Flowers also have a mutation called double-flowered. There are also charts that students can fill out to determine the percentage or chance of a mutation; however this chart is only appropriate for upper grade levels.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers