Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Forum Challenge - Action Research and Reflection on ELA Science Integration

Elementary Science

Forum Challenge - Action Research and Reflection on ELA Science Integration

Author Post
Amanda Wolfe Amanda Wolfe 16375 Points

[color=black][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Below we have curated a collection of rich lessons and supporting material that integrates ELA with Science. If you wish to take part in this[i] voluntary[/i] Action Research and Reflection follow these instructions: [/font][/size][/color] [color=black][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif] [/font][/size][/color] [color=black][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]·      [/font][/size][/color][color=black][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Review the following collections of lessons and ELA and Science integration strategies. [/font][/size][/color] [color=black][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]·      [/font][/size][/color][color=black][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Pick one strategy or lesson that you would like to try this year. [/font][/size][/color] [color=black][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]·      [/font][/size][/color][color=black][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Try it out and share your reflection (see guiding questions below) in this forum thread [b]by December 15[sup]th[/sup] this year[/b] [/font][/size][/color] [color=black][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif] [/font][/size][/color] [color=black][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]If you are already integrating your ELA standards into your science lessons, please share what your strategies are and the impact on your students. [/font][/size][/color] [color=black][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif] [/font][/size][/color] [color=black][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif][b]Guiding Questions for you Reflection: [/b][/font][/size][/color] [color=#575655][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif] [/font][/size][/color] [color=#575655][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]1[/font][/size][/color][color=#575655][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]     [/font][/size][/color][color=black][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]What ELA/Science strategy or lesson did you use - briefly describe?[/font][/size][/color] [color=#575655][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]2.[/font][/size][/color][color=#575655][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]    [/font][/size][/color][color=#575655][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]How does the evidence show how this strategy impacted your students?[/font][/size][/color] [color=#575655][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]3.[/font][/size][/color][color=#575655][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]    [/font][/size][/color][color=black][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Is there anything you would modify or enhance about this strategy? Why?[/font][/size][/color] [color=black][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif] [/font][/size][/color] [b][color=#575655][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif][color=black]Collections: [/color][/font][/size][/color][/b] [b] [color=black][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif][url=http://learningcenter.nsta.org/mylibrary/collection.aspx?id=/buMwywLupU_E][color=#33aab8]The Power of Integration - Making Room for Science in a Crowded Curriculum Collection[/color][/url][/font][/size][/color][/b] [b][color=#575655][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif][color=black][url=http://learningcenter.nsta.org/mylibrary/collection.aspx?id=xGvShX6ZNzA_E][color=#33aab8]Collection of Collections for Science lessons linked to Novels Grades 3rd - 6th Collection[/color][/url][/color][/font][/size][/color][/b] [url=http://learningcenter.nsta.org/mylibrary/collection.aspx?id=GBdqFKABr0U_E][color=#33aab8][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif][b]Claim Evidence Reasoning Collection by Carla Billups[/b][/font][/size][/color][/url]

Yesenia Leal Yesenia Leal 875 Points

I definitely agree that integration among the subjects needs to occur more so than now. In TX, elementary students are not tested in science until 5th grade. This leaves teachers placing an emphasis on subjects that their students are being tested on. Sometimes, the true inquiry process of science is forgotten in the classroom.

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

How can we use integration to bring science to the forefront. I do think it may be about developing science units that include anchoring phenomenon, driving questions, investigation and real reading and writing that is appropriate. I am wondering if I was to take on this task what what K-2 NGSS standards should I tackle? I do love a challenge! Kathy

Yesenia Leal Yesenia Leal 875 Points

I definitely agree that integration among the subjects needs to occur more so than now. In TX, elementary students are not tested in science until 5th grade. This leaves teachers placing an emphasis on subjects that their students are being tested on. Sometimes, the true inquiry process of science is forgotten in the classroom.

Jaqueline Colin Jaqueline 1530 Points

I agree, that integration among subjects should occur more often, for which us as educators should implement that change ourselves. Lets remember change begins with oneself. As teachers we can also assess students' Science comprehension; we don't need to wait till they reach 5th grade.

Viridiana Castro Viridiana Castro 990 Points

I agree with you that integration of subjects needs to be included in our instructional lesson plans more often. I am a student and I just experienced my student teaching in the classroom students are not exploring science.

Gretchen Hausman Gretchen Hausman 150 Points

Science and ELA should not be taught in a "time block," but rather integrated together by bringing informational science reading in to use to improve reading comprehension or picture books that help aid in the understanding of difficult science concepts.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers