Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Students who finish work early

New Teachers

Students who finish work early

Author Post
Navneet Schworetzky Navneet Schworetzky 200 Points

Hi All! I am trying to find ways to reengage students who tend to finish marine biology class assignments quickly before most of the other students. Any suggestions? Thanks

Sarah Hojnicki Sarah Hojnicki 820 Points

I work at a daycare. Each individual room has a sensory/science area. You could have marine biology books, as well as have a sensory table filled with different types of marine life. Some sensory tables have water bottles that have the cap super glues shut so students can't open them, and they are filled with sand and shells, as well as what is supposed to look like the ocean (water, blue beads, etc.). A lot of the señora things are also to help calm kids down if they are upset, and they are allowed to play with the sensory bottles. I hope this helps!

Rebecca Chun rebecca chun 940 Points

I think it all depends on your school as well. In my school, in a first grade classroom, students who finish their work early need to read a book. The reason being is that my school emphasizes guided reading. However, you should plan your lessons that corresponds with your lesson plan and timing.

Cynthia Nguyen Cynthia Nguyen 2650 Points

You can have a jar filled with popsicle sticks, written on them are small activities or tasks that students who finish work early can accomplish. This is great because students will have choices and students will less likely distract others who are still at work. I hope this helps!

Stanethia Miller Stanethia Miller 1040 Points

Setting up an extension station may help. You set up a computer/iPad or two with website tabs already pulled up where the students can view images, videos, and explore websites. You can also have many books for them to read on marine biology. But to regulate whether they are actually working/ retaining information, you could leave Bingo/Tic-Tac-Toe Sheets there with several extra assignments they can complete. They must complete a row, be it diagonal, horizontal, vertical, etc. You can differentiate by making sure there are a variety of activities- things for your writers, artists, hands-on students. So whenever someone finishes early, they can head to the station and work on something! Hopefully this makes sense!

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Along with the suggestion about extension activities--NOAA has a lot of resources, videos, activities that may be of interest to marine biology students... http://www.education.noaa.gov/Marine_Life/ This "extra time" could be a valuable resource for students to go beyond the class activities.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers