Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Effectiveness of an inquiry lesson

Elementary Science

Effectiveness of an inquiry lesson

Author Post
Marved Altamirano Marved Altamirano 410 Points

Hi, i am a junior in FIU and majoring in Elementary Education  I wanted to hear about a few success stories or experiences of teaching inquiry lessons to an elementary classroom, as well as any tips that could help facilitate the classroom while completing the activities.  Do guided questions make a difference in the lesson?  Does student response to the introduction help you predict how the lesson will go?

Megan Lensing Megan Lensing 2220 Points

Hi Marved! Like you I am a majoring in Elementary Education at the University of Northern Iowa. In my science methods class, we have been learning how truly beneficial it is to have inquiry-based investigations throughout elementary school. One thing that is so important for students when teaching inquiry-based lessons is to make sure that in some way it can relate to students lives or is something that can be relevant to them. By doing this, you can hopefully predict how the lesson will go. Another key part of an inquiry-based lesson that has been emphasized within my science class is to be asking questions that are productive guided questions! There are specific questions that should be asked at each stage of the lesson, during an engaging stage etc. When writing productive questions, it is important to make them open-ended and then include "you" within the question so as to really get students thinking and investing in the question. One success story of an inquiry-based lesson that I got to teach was on ramps and pathways. This lesson was with a group of second graders, and in it, I simply asked the question of "how do I make this marble roll from one side of the ramp to the other". I then provided students with ramps and marbles and from there, they not only figured out how to make the marble roll, but how they design of the system helped the marble to roll faster or slower. Students were so interested in this lesson and really engaged throughout. They learned to ask and investigate questions, all through inquiry learning. Below is I attached some articles that are helpful for using inquiry in the classroom, hopefully, these resources help!!! -Megan

Attachments

Inquiry Made Easy (Journal Article)

The Many Levels of Inquiry (Journal Article)

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers